Chapter 9 - Sam

Sam’s first instinct is to hide the box. Shoving it into his coat, he looks from Castiel to Dean.

“We know what you are,” Castiel sneers at the girl.

“Ben?” she asks, walking over to her boyfriend. “Who are these people? Why are they talking to you about me?”

“We’re, uh,” Dean begins.

“You know who we are. And you know we’re onto you,” Cas says to Emily, only making the situation worse.

“Okay,” Ben interrupts, stepping in front of his girlfriend. “You three can leave. Do what antisocial trenchcoat says. I’m going to forget this ever happened.”

Dean’s eyes flit over to Sam’s. They both know something is terribly wrong here.

When Sam looks back up at the girl, her blue eyes are gone. They flash all black for a millisecond, and she grins wickedly at the Winchesters.

A millisecond is all Castiel needs. He rips Dean’s knife from his back belt loop, causing the elder Winchester to shriek and jump away. In one smooth move, he plunges the knife into the girl’s stomach. Both her and Ben scream.

“What the hell did you just do?!” Ben shouted at the angel. “You stabbed her! What kind of person does that?!”

“Me,” Castiel replies.

“Not helping,” Dean hisses at him. He slides to the floor and kneels down next to Ben. “Kid,” he says gently. “She’s gone.”

“Get away from me!” Ben repeats.

Sam tries to stutter something to the broken young man, but gives up. Grabbing Dean’s and Castiel’s arms, he runs from the room.

Ben holds Emily’s body close, unable to control his cries. He’s hurting and betrayed, but most of all, he’s angry at the Winchesters and Cas for not leaving the goddamn knife at his apartment.