14. The Killer Within

            Jim was obviously hiding someone in the basement; I could hear their screams faintly. He had tried to put off my hearing like I was becoming senile, but after I pestered him long enough, he gave up and admitted it. He didn’t tell me who he had kidnapped, but I didn’t think it would be necessary to ask since I had a pretty good idea. We both agreed to not let Elena get anywhere near the basement, let alone the room. If she found him, things would fall apart. Whatever trust she had in me would disappear in a heartbeat. She’d want to be down there with him all the time.

            Due to Elena’s restless nights, Jim was more cranky than normal. A few times he’d almost thrown her out of the room or tried to strangle her in her sleep. I’d come to her defense and reminded him of why she was here at the mansion with us to begin with. We couldn’t kill her if she was leverage. Dead leverage was the same as none.

            A few times I’d suffered from stomach pains. Some were awful to endure, others were mild. Surprisingly, Jim was at my side during the harder pains, which concerned me. We didn’t have any emotional attachment to each other. But there was the possibility that he started to develop feelings for me. I dismissed the idea when I remembered who he was. Jim Moriarty, the world’s only consulting criminal. He could have all the connections in his web, but he wouldn’t have any meaningful relationships. He was all he needed.

            Last night—or this morning rather—there were three in the bed instead of two. Elena was curled into me while I had Jim behind my back. I was stuck in the middle. Both were out cold, though I knew they’d wake soon. I was awake but didn’t feel like getting up, so I just lay with them both. I petted Elena’s hair, thinking.

            When we were done with her, what would we do with her? Keep her forever? We weren’t going to kill her; I wasn’t going to let that happen. I wasn’t sure what Jim’s idea was for Elena, but I knew mine. I wondered if our ideas differed.

             If only Elena slept soundly every night like she did right now. She still continued to be plagued with nightmares. I’d get to the bottom of them soon. Everything would be fixed.

            A faint scream made Elena shift uncomfortably beside me. Behind me, Jim groaned.

            “He’s at it already? It’s too early,” he complained.

            “The sun’s been up for a while,” I noted. “Not so early. And what do you mean by that?”

            “By what?”

            “Don’t do that. I heard you. Who’s doing what?”

            “Nothing, darling.”

            “Jim.”

            “It’s nothing that concerns you.”

            “I live in this mansion, I’m pretty sure it does.”

            “Logan’s in the basement keeping an eye on our other guest.”

            I frowned. “You’re letting him get away with that?”

            “Why would I tell him no?”

            “Because this is your headquarters, not his. You let him in, you set the rules.”

            “Not with him.”

            “Oh, is Jim Moriarty afraid?” I teased.