bad, bad, very bad

"Amabell! Amabell!" A voice cried, making my ears ring like church bells at noon. I flung myself out of bed and opened my door a crack. It squeaked loudly, making me hold my breath to make sure Peeter didn't hear, or my mom. We were a family of light sleepers. When the house stayed quiet except for the creepy voice calling my name, I tiptoed into the hallway.

"Amabell! Amabell! Amabell!" The voice cried louder and more frantically now.

I slipped into the living room where the boxes that we hadn't unpacked yet sat in a pile next to our couch. Mom had quickly disposed of the rat, thank god. However, there was still something wrong about the room. And now I knew it wasn't a rat corpse at the heart of the problem.

The air was sinister.

I tried to turn on the light switch, but it didn't work. A blackout? No. The nightlight was on in the kitchen. Something was wrong. Very wrong.

"Amabell." And it was there, right next to my ear. It was pale and pearly, and my heart stopped in horror. It's eyes were pure black, no white, and it had sharp teeth like a dog. I opened my mouth to scream, but my throat was far too dry. It was like this- this thing, was sucking the moisture right out of my throat. "Amabell. I owe you a great thank you."

"..the hell?" I finally managed. I was about to start crying. I could feel it welling up behind my eyeballs.

"Not Hell, Amabell. Not anymore." It's voice, soft and raspy, made my spine chill. Every hair on my neck was on end. "Not after my gateway was opened. Thank you for that. I've been behind that door for many long and dreadful years. And you opened it."

I wanted to throw up. I wanted to retch until I cried, until the tears turned my vision blurry. Then it would be gone. I would be back in my old house, and all this would've been a dizzy sick dream.

But no. It was all real. I could feel the coldness drifting off it's figure. I could feel it's sickly breath which drained me of energy.

A thin smile touched it's frozen lips. "Amabell, I quite like you. Perhaps I'd have been kind to you, had kindness been my nature. However, I'm afraid you're not quite so lucky."

I fainted. Right then and there, I dropped to the old musky floor.

This isn't real.