Taking on Elementary School

It was seven in the morning. The sun had just come up over the horizon with its pinks, purples, and baby blues projected onto the clouds over the small towns of the UK. Several citizens were on their way to work and school, while Avery was enjoying a little extra sleep. However, shimmerly barged into the room wearing a wife beater tank top and shorts to interrupt the girls slumber. "Avery it's time to get up!" This made Avery jump from her peaceful rest. Shimmerly opened her drawers and started pulling out the uniform for the young girl. "I'm very sorry Avery ," she apologized, "You're gonna be late on your first day of fifth grade."

She threw the outfit onto Avery's lap, "Hurry  and get dressed, we have to leave in twenty minutes." She said as she was heading out. Avery slowly uncovered herself and put her feet on the floor. She yawned as stretched out her tiredness. She began to take off her shirt and pants so she could replace them with her uniform. It had a grey skirt that came to her knees and a white polo shirt with a chest pocket. After that, she then began to put on her white knee high socks. Once they were on, she slid on her dress shoes and strapped them on. After that she brushed her hair. As she looked in the mirror she saw that her eyes were a light purple, but yesterday they were grey.

She gasped and quickly ran out of her room and down the stairs to the kitchen, "Mother, my eyes are purple!" Shimmerly almost dropped the plate of running eggs she had made. "What is it?" She hastley plopped the eggs in the center of the dining table. "Look at my eyes!" The little girl demanded. Shimmerly knelt down to Avery's height to see what she was talking about. Her eyes were purple and fading to blue. Shimmerly shook her head in concern, "This is something, Melody will have to look at." She got up to pull out a chair, "for now, eat breakfast." Avery shook her head in rebellion. "This is my first day of actual school and this is really weird!" Shimmerly put a hand on Avery's shoulder attempting to calm her down. "Look, as long as you don't draw any attention to yourself no one will even notice your eyes." The young girl's worried expression relaxed with her breathing, "I think I can do that." She responded. 

"I know you can," Shimmerly assured, "When you get back we'll tell you what your eyes mean." Avery gave her a nervous grin as she thought to herself, New kids don't get special attention, I'm sure no one will care about me. Shimmerly removed her hand and stated for the living room to put on her shoes on to take Avery to the school. "Eat your breakfast, we have to leave in ten minutes to get there on time." Avery nodded and climbed into the chair and started picking food items off the four various plates. She took the baked rashers, eggs, bagels, but left the fruit bowl alone. She's not a fruit fan. 

Once Avery was finished with her plate, she hopped down with it and put on the counter for washing. Shimmerly came in with her backpack and handed it to her. She then pushed her to through the archway into the living room and to front door. She grabbed her car keys off the wall rack on her way out. They hopped in her 1995 Sudan and rode off into the city. They had to drive for ten miles through the hefty morning traffic. People on their way to work or taking their kids to school, as Shimmerly is. She had never once in her life thought this was her outcome of life. Taking her  quarter sister/quarter daughter to school. She never planned for kids, then again she didn't plan for a goddess wife neither. 

The school was on the outskirts of London surrounded by restaurants and small flats. The school was named Seedling Elementary. Seedling Elementary, is an all girls school that harbors girls from first through fifth grade. It has been a mono-sex  for five years now, since two fifth graders were caught having sex in the boys bathroom. Shimmerly felt the school over exaggerated the whole situation by becoming a one gender school and does not support Avery going to this school at all, but she couldn't argue since this school was the closest, available choice.

The elementary school stood three stories tall and stretched sixty square feet down the block an each side of the double door entrance, making the building perfectly symmetrical. The building was a light brown brick building with black window sills to almost each classroom. Teachers were lined on the sidewalk to greet parents and students who were just arriving to the school. Shimmerly pulled the car in front of this older woman wearing a light brown pant suit. "Alright we're here." Shimmerly looked back at Avery. "Have a good day." Avery reached for the door handle, but the woman had pulled the door open. "Hello sweetie," she greeted, kindly, "Come on out." Avery glanced to Shimmerly nervously as she hesitated to move out of the vehicle. "Go on." Shimmerly encouraged.