Chapter 38

Unedited, Enjoy!

Don't forget to leave a like & comment, I love to hear what you think, it's a great motivator!

|| ** || ** ||

The living room is swarmed with people trying to get to the twins so I use that as the perfect moment to escape into the kitchen, in need of a minute to myself.

I grab a can of soda from the fridge and lean against the kitchen island taking small sips. He knows I don't like her. I mean, I didn't go into heavy detail about what she's done to me over the years but he knows that we don't get along. So why would he think now would be the right time to get us to bond? Couldn't he have just done it privately? I sigh thinking that I should walk around the party one more time before I can fully relax.

Standing back in the living room I give the area a once over, noting that the snacks are going to need a fill-up in the next ten minutes but other than that everyone seems to be enjoying themselves. Leaning against the doorframe, I catch Olivia's concerned face and see her take a step towards me. I shake my head slightly, letting her know I needed to be alone for a bit. Courtney and Quinn are standing with Lilly and her sister Georgiana, laughing at something Georgie was telling them.

Lost in thought I don't realize Nathan stepping out of the crowd and heading towards me. He stands a few feet away and doesn't make a move to come closer.

"What did I do wrong?" He asks quietly, looking around to see if anyone can overhear us. I gesture towards the kitchen without replying and we move to lean against opposite counters.

"Look, I understand where you're coming from with the whole wanting Summer and I to become friends but did you have to do it at my twin siblings' birthday party?" I ask calmly, not wanting to shout or come off as angry.

"I didn't think it would be a big deal-."

"But you know that we have never gotten along and you brought her to my house where you knew I was going to be anxious; running around trying to organize everything. I am all for having a sit-down conversation with her whenever you want because she is someone close to you and I would never want to get in the way of that, but I would appreciate it if we did it privately instead of at a public party, and I actually knew what was happening instead of her showing up out of nowhere," I tell him without a hint of anger in my voice.

"Do you want her to leave?" he asks, raising an eyebrow.

"No of course not, I don't want to make a scene here and I'm not about to kick anyone out. She can stay, just next time let's talk it through before you randomly bring people to my house, okay?" I ask crossing my arms over my chest, showing him that I still wasn't happy but I didn't want us to fight.

"Okay, lesson learned, I'll run things by you next time, I promise. Now, can I please show off my girlfriend to the rest of my team?" He asks in a hopeful tone. I try and keep my face passive but let a little smile slip.

"Fine, if you have to," I roll my eyes and he grabs my hand, holding it tightly as he brings it up to his lips.

"You know, you're kind of scary when you're mad. I was expecting screaming and shouting but Quiet Charlotte is definitely more terrifying," he nods his head, confirming his thoughts as we walk through the groups of people.

"Nate, Yo man, where have you been?" Carter Reynolds, Nathan's best friend, walks over to us, slapping Nathan's hand in greeting and hugging me lightly, "Hey Char, awesome party!"

"Thanks!" I reply with a smile on my face.

"I'm surprised we all kept it quiet and didn't spill the surprise," Carter chuckles surveying the room.

"Yeah with your big mouth I was surprised too," Nathan laughs as Carter scowls at him.

"Dude, don't be a dick just because you're trying to impress your girl... we both know she would choose me any day," Carter winks at me, causing me to break out into giggles and Nathan shoves him.

"Boys, boys, boys, calm down. I need to find the twins to actually wish them a happy birthday, I'll be right back," I squeeze Nathan's hand and start heading in the direction I last saw them, but I turn around right before I am out of earshot, "And you both know I would pick Dylan O'Brien over both of you in a heartbeat," I wink and quickly walk away, laughing.

"Hey!" I hear them both shout out offended, over the music.

I spot Sebastian and Sophie still surrounded by their friends and I start to push my way through them; until someone stands in front of me blocking my way. Summer.

"Charlotte, hey I just wanted to say that I'm sorry about the whole 'dragging me here" comment I made earlier. Nate said that that was probably what upset you and I completely agree, I mean, if my boyfriend was best friends with a girl I would be suspicious too, you know?" she smiles sweetly at me but I don't miss the backhanded comment.

"I'm not suspicious," I smile genuinely at her, "I trust Nathan, and I understand why he brought you here, he wants us to 'get along'."

"Yeah, we both know that's never going to happen because you're a bitch and I can't stand you, and we'll see how long you two last for; you'll date anyone that can throw a baseball in a straight line and Nathan was never very good at holding a girlfriend for very long," she smirks at me, a mischievous glint in her eye. Something tells me you have something to do with that.

"Don't talk to my girlfriend like that," Nathan is standing directly behind her with his eyebrows furrowed. My eyes soften at his hurt expression I'm about to interject saying that we were just messing around but Carter stands next to him shaking his head at me and scowling at Summer.

Summer's eyes widen frantically, caught in the act, "I didn't mean that in a bad way Nate," she scrambles for an excuse.

"How is that supposed to be in a good way then?" Nathan crosses his arms over his chest and stares down at Summer trying to intimidate her.

"Just that you've dated a few girls over the last couple of years, that's all," she shrugs, smiling playfully at him. He doesn't budge.

"I don't care about what you said about me, I'm talking about what you said about Charlotte."

"She knows I was just joking Nate, chill," she laughs a little too loudly.

"No, you weren't, don't lie to me. I brought you here so that two people I care about could put aside their differences and get to know each other better," he explains, his eyes drifting over to me for a second before settling back on Summer. "I think you should go."

She sputters out, "What? Nate, please I'm sorry for what I said, it's just that we don't see each other anymore since you started dating her. I just miss you," she pouts, hoping to get him to feel guilty about spending time with me.

"Don't apologize to me," he inclines his head in my direction subtly, "And don't act like we never see each other out of school because you just went on to Char earlier about how we're always hanging out. But I honestly don't think you should be here right now."

"Charlotte, I'm sorry," she mumbles quietly, giving Nathan one last pouty look before turning around and leaving. Nathan stands in front of me so he doesn't see Summer turn back to look at me with a scowl on her face, rolling her eyes and leaving out the front door.

|| ** || ** ||

So I've had major writer's block for the past few days but I sat down with a close family member and they helped me get my thoughts back in order!

I hope you liked the chapter!

Sammipott xx