Hands (Day one of yootip week prompt)

Shin Ae pushed open the large, heavy doors to the library. The dark wood creaked as she strode through the entryway. They shut with a soft click as she walked slowly away from them. She had always loved libraries, although sue wasn't sure why. She tilted her crimson gaze up at the beautiful architecture around and above her. Books of all colors and sizes were stacked from the floor to very near the ceiling. A tall, wooden latter with small wheels on the bottom leaned against the shelves, waiting for someone to climb its sturdy rungs. Golden light slanted through the narrow high above, catching specks of dust in its rays of warmth.

     She roamed between the aisles, her fingertips grazing the spines of books softly. Although she had came for a textbook for school, she also knew there was no harm in wandering the paper leaves for a while. Now and then, a quiet murmur or whisper could be heard from the other side of the shelves, or a distant voice. Things were peaceful. Serene. She sighed in content.

     Eventually, she strolled over to the reference section. Textbooks, dictionaries, and encyclopedias lined the hazel boards. Her eyes slipped from one volume to the next, searching for a specific title. A certain title was essential for the economy class she was taking in college. After a bit, her eyes landed on their target. She reached up to grab it. Her hand froze, however, when skin brushed against skin.

□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□

     Kousuke glanced over, startled, as his hand met with another slim, graceful one. His thoughts had been wrapped up in thoughts of his work and the numerous amount of errands he had to run. Also, he was very stressed about growing tensions among his family. So wrapped up, that he was unaware of the lady next to him grasping for the same book he was.

     He looked down at the female at his side. Much to his surprise, two deep, red orbs stared into his own sapphire ones. Shin Ae.

     "Miss Yoo?" he said, unable to hide some of the shock in his tone.

     Shin Ae seemed equally surprised. "K-Kousuke! I'm sorry, I hadn't noticed you there."

     "It's quite alright. To be frank, I was not aware of your presence either." He paused, feeling slightly awkward. "You needed that book, I presume?"

     "Oh, um, yes," she stammered. Kousuke was conscious of a faint blush on her cheeks. He brought his gaze quickly back to hers.

     "I'll get it for you," he offered. As he passed the leather-bound textbook to her, his hand skimmed lightly across hers. His heart skipped a beat, although he wasn't sure why.

     "Th-thanks," she said quietly. "Didn't you need this too, though?"

     "It's fine, Miss Yoo. I can pick up one at the local book store."

     "Okay. By the way, are you doing okay?"

     Faintly taken aback, Kousuke furrowed his brows. "Why do you ask?"

     The rosy shade returned to her face. "You looked sad, or stressed, that's all."

     "Stressed, yes," he admitted. "Please, don't concern yourself with me, through."

     "Alright. I'll see you tomorrow at work, then." She turned her back to him, her hair swinging slightly in her loss ponytail. Suddenly, a strange wave of compulsion washed over Kousuke.

     "Wait," he said. Shin Ae spun back around. "Would you fancy meeting me later this evening, at a restaurant, for dinner?" he questioned. For reasons he couldn't explain, his heart beat quickly. His face warmed.

     Shin Ae looked curiously at him. Slowly, she reached over and gently grabbed his hand. His eyes widened in surprise, but he didn't move, and his eyes didn't leave hers.

     "Sure," she said. "What time?"

     For the first time, Kousuke felt at a loss for words. "Six P.M." he managed to say. With that, he watched her saunter away to the check-out desk. A small smile, an unfamiliar feeling, formed on his lips. Only one coherent thought lingered in his mind.

     Her hands.

□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□

I hope you all enjoy this! It's not really much, but it was for our #yootipweek18 on amino.

~shiver