The next Generation

My name is Britta Rue Mellark. I am 14.

 I am 14

I have a brother named Castor Finnick Mellark. He is 12.

My moms name is Katniss and my dads name is Peeta.

We all live together in Panem in a spot called District 12

Mom and dad did this thing called the Hunger Games when they were younger. Both of them helped to put an end to the Games. I'm glad they did because both me and Castor are old enough to be entered in the Games. In the Games you had to kill people. I'm fine with hunting but killing a person is different.

Grandma is far away working in another District, and grandpa died when mom was little. And aunt Prim died from a fire bomb. Dads parents and brothers all died in a fire here in 12.

The only neighbour that lives nearby is old Haymitch, mom and dad's friend. He is constantly drunk. And very annoying.

Sometimes Effie comes by and we have a sort of reunion. Effie is another one of mom and dads friends. Effie dresses funny but is very nice. Every time she visits she brings us candy and other yummy things!

~

Today is one of those reunions. Effie came just last night and now just woke me up from a good dream saying today is another big big big day. Hooray. Then I think of the special breakfast dad has planned. Jumping out of bed I get dressed as fast as possible then run down the stairs and past Castor. Jumping into my chair I say good morning to mom, dad, Castor and finally Effie.

"Morning Britta! Can you go get Haymitch, he's gonna miss breakfast." Mom asked. "Sure, I guess." I answered.

~

As usual Haymitch was drunk. Quickly I dumped the little pitcher of water on him and jumped back as he swung around with his knife. "Haymitch, your gonna be late for breakfast." I called, already out the door.