Chapter 2

She hadn't always called him by his first name. At first, she'd only call him by it because she heard Kurotsuchi call him by it. Though she quickly learned that was his name, she refrained from calling him by it after she learnt the concept of respect from Kurotsuchi. While it was her own choice to call him Master Mayuri, she was never sure of how to address Akon.

She'd heard quite a few soul reapers call each other by their last names. While she assumed that was out of respect, she didn't actually know Akon's last name. She decided to ask him about it the next day. He found her waiting by his usual seat. To him, it was a sign she wanted to speak with him. She'd only ever do that when she was already in the room before him. He didn't mind her coming to ask him questions.

He'd come to expect it every now and then. Kurotsuchi wouldn't bother with most of her questions, seeing them as a waste of his time. Soon, Nemu was able to differentiate between important questions, whatever would interest Kurotsuchi, as rare as they were, from other questions, whatever wouldn't interest Kurotsuchi, all of which she sent Akon's way. Today seemed no different as she doubted Kurotsuchi would be bothered about Akon's last name. She wasn't even sure he knew it.

Akon: What's that? My last name?

Nemu: Yes. I would like to know your last name.

The question surprised Akon. It was the first question he'd gotten that was about him personally. He found her question quite odd.

Akon: ... What's wrong with Akon?

Nemu: Recently, I learned the concept of respect from Master Mayuri. He taught me to address those of greater authority respectfully.

Akon mentally questioned what methods his captain "taught" her with.

Akon: I can't presume to know how the captain thinks, but I'd probably guess that was only centred on him.

Nemu: Yes. That was my first thought as well. But, throughout the Thirteen Court Guard Squads, I've heard many Soul Reapers addressed their superiors differently.

Akon: Well, I guess that makes sense. Not every Soul Reaper has an equal rank. In fact, not all of them are even ranked.

Nemu nods.

Nemu: I'm aware of the differences between Captains, Lieutenants and other Seated Officers. However, you and I have yet to be ranked.

Akon: Exactly. So, you shouldn't feel the need to address me any differently than usual. Akon is fine.

Nemu: I understand that. But, I've discovered some Soul Reapers aren't addressed differently just according to rank. I've come to understand age is also a factor.

Akon looked up for a moment.

Akon: Oh yeah, that.

He soon understood why she was asking him this now.

Akon: So, that's why you're asking about my last name?

Nemu nodded.

Nemu: I've discovered that people often address their seniors by their last names, sometimes with a prefix before it like "Sir".

Akon scratched his head, slightly worried.

Akon: You're not gonna start calling me "sir", are you?

Nemu: Should I? I mean, though we're both unseated officers at the moment, you've been here far longer than I have. So you could be considered my superior. And if we also take into account how much older you are compared to me, you would definitely qualify as my senior.

Akon: Oh boy.

Nemu: So, should I start calling you "sir" from now on?

Akon threw a hand over his face.

Akon: Please don't.

Nemu: Uh... So I shouldn't call you "sir"?

Akon: No, I'd much prefer if you didn't. Akon is fine.

Nemu: I see. So "sir" would be the wrong form of addressment.

Akon: Did you not hear what I just said?

Nemu: I don't understand. Besides the addressment, you usually refer to Master Mayuri as "Captain Kurotsuchi".

Akon: Well, I would. He's my captain.

Nemu: So... is it wrong for me to call him Master Mayuri, since he's also my captain?

Akon: I don't think how he's addressed matters as much when it comes from you.

Nemu: Why not?

Akon: Well... does he mind you calling him that?

Nemu: Not that I'm aware of. He always responds when being called that.

Akon: Then it's safe to say he doesn't have a problem with it.

Nemu: I see.

Akon sighs, finally glad he got that settled. While he hoped that would be the end of the matter, Nemu thought otherwise.

Nemu: So, since you have a problem with "sir", should I start addressing you as "Master Akon"?

Akon groaned at how tedious this was becoming, and because he didn't want to be addressed as "Master Akon". "Sir" was bad enough to him.

Akon: Look, Nemu, I'll only say this one last time. Akon is fine.

Nemu was silent for a moment, pondering his answer. He wondered why she'd need to think so hard about it. She then looked up at him, eyes full of curiosity.

Nemu: ... Akon is fine...?

Akon: Yes. Akon is fine.

Nemu: ... Interesting...

Nemu went back to her train of thought. Akon groaned again. His moments with her were far from dull, to say the least.