Ch. 23

"Where were you? I drove by your place earlier because I wanted to discuss something with you and you weren't there!"

"I had some business to take care of."

"Like what?"

"Sarah!"

"What is it, Connor? I thought we were honest with each other, now you start being secretive?"

"You're right! I'm sorry. But please promise me not to freak out."

"Okay."

"I went to see Zayn."

"What?"

"We kept in touch, after that day of the press conference. Actually, it was him who asked me to keep him updated."

"On what exactly?"

"You. Your life. How you were doing."

"Why?"

"I never asked. Though I can see why."

I ignored his last comment and asked more questions instead because I really wanted to know why they were talking about me behind my back.

"What did you talk about?"

"You. How you want to leave. I figured he should know."

I nodded my head absent-mindedly but realization slowly but surely kicked in. All the times I told Connor how I was disappointed in Zayn for not staying in touch, Connor actually talked to him. And Connor lied to me. He purposedly lied to me.

"Sarah, I think-"

"I don't wanna hear it. Whatever it is that you have to say, I just don't wanna hear it!"

"You don't think it's weird that he asked me to keep an eye on you and let him know when something's happening in your life?" Connor now yelled at me, but I knew he wasn't mad.

He wanted to protect me, but he couldn't overlook the fact that Zayn still cared about me. And neither could I. But Connor knew how stubborn and unforgiving I could be, he knew he needed to coax me out of my shell so he could show me what I refused to see with my own eyes.

"That doesn't prove anything!" I yelled back, tears threating to spill down my cheeks.

"Why are you so goddamn stubborn?"

"What's going on here? Why are you two yelling at each other?" Joy looked at Connor, then back at me.

I didn't hear the doorbell ring, but I wasn't in the mood to analyze why Joy was suddenly here at Connors house.

"Connor went to see Zayn. Actually he's been talking to him behind my back for the past month." I said, my voice dripping with betrayal.

"Sarah..." Connor began.

"Did you know about this?" I looked over to a bewildered Joy.

"No, I didn't. But you're making a big deal out of it!" She answered after a ew moments.

"Of course." I laughed sarcastically, before I made my way towards the exit. "I'd appreciate it if you could leave me alone for a few days. No calls, no visits."