Ch. 18

"You can't do this!" He started once we were alone.

"Do what?" I replied warily, puzzled because I wasn't expecting Zayn to know what I was thinking.

"You can't fool me, Sarah. I know exactly what you're thinking! You can't do this."

"It's either that or I'll lose everything! The company is all I have left, Zayn."

He flinched at my last words. I noticed it, but didn't give it much thought.

"If you put yourself in that position the damages will be greater than the benefits, and you know it! You don't want that, Sarah!"

"What am I supposed to do? She fights dirty, I don't stand a chance against her! Zayn, I know the situation is very complicated but I have to do this! I just have to. You heard Connor! My dad didn't want Caitlyn to have anything to do with his business. And Joy had been sick, so she had been unreliable too. It may sound harsh but that was my dad when it came to business. He had this planned thoroughly, because he didn't want the company, his life's work, to go to waste! It's my responsibility now. I owe it to him!"

"Do you really think he would want you to expose yourself like that?"

"Yes. He would want me to do every thing possible to protect his legacy."

Zayn sighed again. I knew he understood I had no other choice. And he knew better than to try and change my mind. So why was he so worried? None of this would affect him anymore. He was off the hook.

"Sleep on it. If you wake up tomorrow feeling the same about this, then talk to Joy. If she's okay with it, which I highly doubt, then go for it. Don't rush this decision though, you might regret it."

Now it was my turn to sigh.

"Promise me, Sarah!"

He looked tired, his face pale. Only his eyes were filled with emotion. Sorrow.

"Please!"

"I promise."

He closed the distance between us and wrapped his arms around my back in a tight hug. He slowly breathed out, relaxing his body. His heart was beating fast and so was mine. Although the hug felt awkward, it also felt natural. Right.

My confusion as to why he came with Connor slowly faded. I was glad he was here now.

"Did Connor ask you to come along?" My voice sounded muffled as my face was pressed against his chest.

He realeased me and held me at an arm's length. "I asked him to call me if anything else came up. When I got his call I noticed his worried tone and demanded to come along. I hope it's okay."

"Thank you." Was all I managed to say before he pulled me closer for another hug.

~

"How do you feel about this?"

It had been three hours since Connor and Zayn left. Zayn insisted to stay, knowing that any serious conversation me and Joy ever had resulted more or less in a fight. Zayn said that was because we were both way too stubborn.