Chapter 20

The streets of Ikebukuro were dark, but not as dark as the streets of Shinjuku. A cold breeze passed through the streets, causing (Reader) to shove her hands in her jacket pockets for warmth. Izaya's penthouse was not hard to find, if you knew where to look for it.

Leaves crunched beneath her feet, the only sound she could hear. There were no cars and hardly any people. It was quite strange, perhaps even rare for the city to be so devoid of life. (Reader) hardly paid any mind to the fact, though.

As she neared his penthouse, she pondered on what she should say to him. Izaya was crafty and tactful, she would have to be careful how she spoke around him. The (h/c) silently pondered how to word her questions until she had finally reached his door. She knocked gently.

No answer. Silence.

(Reader) furrowed her brows in confusion and mild frustration.

Is he really not here right now?

She knocked again, louder this time.

No answer, though she could hear movement inside.

The (h/c) rolled her eyes and knocked one last time.

"Izaya I know you're in there, I can hear you!"

Soft footsteps approached the door. (Reader) felt uneasy suddenly as she heard the locks click before the door opened, revealing a tall noirette woman wearing a green sweater. Her eyes widened briefly when she recognized who was at her boss' door.

"You need to leave," She spoke dryly.

"Why? I came here to-"

"You're not welcome here..." The secretary spoke, a hint of compassion to her voice, "not anymore, at least..."

(Reader) raised an eyebrow in confusion and slight suspicion.

"I'm Namie, Izaya's secretary. There's something you should know about him, but we can't talk here."

Namie pulled a piece of paper and a pen from a nearby table and scribbled on it before handing it to (Reader).

"Meet me there in 2 hours, and don't be late," Namie quickly shut the door.

(Reader) blinked, looking at the address scrawled on the paper. She recognized it as an old, run down building on the outskirts of Ikebukuro.

- 2 hours later -

(Reader) sat atop of the old, abandoned building she had been instructed to go to previously. There was no sign of Namie, and she was starting to wonder what exactly was going on.

Soon 10 minutes had passed.

Then 30 minutes.

What's going on?

Just as she was about to leave, her phone went off. Pulling it from her bag, she read the message on the screen.

Unknown: It's Namie. Run.

Before she could react, she heard laughter coming from behind the door to the rooftop. Sinister, but familiar laughter. The door swung open abruptly.

"So we meet again, hm?"

"I suppose so, Izaya,"