Chapter 27

Fireheart tossed in his sleep. He dreamed of Tigerstar looking over every clan, looking over with power glowing in his eyes. Fireheart woke up in fright. He knew Tigerstar was still a threat, but that terror shook him. Fireheart shook his head. He knew not to worry about it now. Fireheart quickly padded out of the warriors den.

As he left, Cedarpaw ran up to him. "Are we doing battle training with Oakpaw and Wetfoot today?" Fireheart nodded. Russetfur stepped on a large thorn while on the way back from the Gathering. Runningnose had her stay in camp for the day. Fireheart felt pity for her apprentice, so offered to do some training.

"Good morning, Fireheart." Wetfoot said as both Fireheart and Cedarpaw came to the entrance. Oakpaw and Cedarpaw seemed excited to have Fireheart come to their battle training. While the cats made their way to the training hollow, Oakpaw and Cedarpaw started asking, "Are you going to show us ThunderClan fighting moves?" "Are ThunderClan cats great fighters?" "How many battles and skirmishes have you been in?"

"That's enough questions." Wetfoot said annoyed. The apprentices fell silent. Fireheart felt slightly relieved. Wetfoot stopped at a fallen tree with a clearing. "We are here." Wetfoot said. The apprentices quickly bounded forward. Wetfoot huffed in annoyance before following his apprentice. Fireheart followed Wetfoot.

"Alright," Wetfoot said, "let's show him what we do." Oakpaw and Cedarpaw nodded at the warrior before circling each other. Fireheart made sure to comment, "keep your claws sheathed." Cedarpaw quickly slid his claws in. As soon as the apprentice did so, he sprang onto Oakpaw. Oakpaw was quick to duck, hitting Cedarpaw with his paws.

Cedarpaw landed and quickly attacked Oakpaw again. Oakpaw knocked Cedarpaw off balance and pinned him. Cedarpaw looked at Fireheart. Fireheart gave him the signal to relax and act defeated. Cedarpaw did so. Oakpaw yowled in success. As the brown apprentice mocked Cedarpaw, Fireheart quickly said, "Now!" Cedarpaw used his stronger back legs and threw Oakpaw. Cedarpaw was quick to pin his training mate.

Oakpaw struggled under Cedarpaw's weight, but gave up quickly, saying, "Not fair. You cheated." Wetfoot laughed and said, "that's a fair move." Fireheart nodded at the warrior and said, "I learned that when I was younger than you. If you think you've won, chase them out, not gloat on your victory."

Wetfoot nodded and Cedarpaw let Oakpaw go. Oakpaw looked ready to fight Cedarpaw for embarrassing him. "Alright," Wetfoot stopped his apprentice, "Let's continue. ThunderClan may try to take some of our territory since their territory was on fire."

Fireheart and the training patrol started heading back to camp, but decided to hunt while on their way back. Fireheart was pleased how well the day went. He learned a few fighting tricks and caught plenty of prey. As they found their way back to camp, a lot of murmuring and gasps filled the camp.

The cats quickly entered. "Go eat." Fireheart said to the apprentices. They followed his order as Wetfoot and Fireheart broke through a crowd that formed in camp. Fireheart was surprised at what he saw. A little heart-shaped leaf had caught fire. However, it did not scorch any other leaf or stick. Fireheart quickly tried to put it out by getting grabbing moss full of water and put it on top of the fire.

After a few heartbeats of dabbing soaked moss on the fire, the flame didn't seem to die. As Fireheart stopped trying to put it out, his shadow looked over it. The ShadowClan cats gasped as Fireheart felt his stomach turn. As his shadow covered the flame, it slowly blew out, but the leaf was intact. The sound of loud thunder filled the air before dying out like the flame. Every warrior in camp fell quiet.

"It's a sign." Fireheart heard Stubbytail say. Fireheart was still in shock. He turned to Runningnose, who was just as shocked. After what felt like moons, Runningnose looked at the clan. "This is a sign from StarClan. A new leader, using his shadow to stop the fires of his past. His loyalty in ThunderClan is now far behind him." the medicine cat said, "Fireheart will be the new leader of ShadowClan." Every cat in ShadowClan, still in shock, started chanting, "Fireheart! Fireheart!"

Fireheart shivered. Was this his destiny? To lead ShadowClan? He looked at the cats, their eyes loyally on him. Fireheart knew now he couldn't turn it down. Fireheart hopped onto Clanrock and said, "Thank you all. I may not have been born of any clan, nor raised in this one, but I promise you, I will not make the same mistakes Brokenstar had done. I will restore honor and strength to this clan. In StarClan's name, this clan will be strong again."

Cats cheered wholeheartedly. Fireheart looked at ShadowClan. They seemed thrilled to have a leader chosen by StarClan. Some seemed skeptical, but ultimately, no one stopped him from being leader. Fireheart jumped down from the rock and made his way to Runningnose. He looked nervous, but ready to head to the Moonstone. Fireheart turned to Russetfur, who's paw was much better and said, "send out hunting and border patrols. I recommend sending one to the ThunderClan border. We don't know what they're planning." Russetfur nodded and quickly ordered patrols. Fireheart quickly decided she will be his deputy.

Runningnose patiently waited as Fireheart turned to him. "Are you ready?" the medicine cat asked. Fireheart noticed how nervous Runningnose was and asked, "Are you?" Runningnose sighed. Fireheart knew Runningnose had a complicated history with StarClan and leaders. "Come on, Runningnose," Fireheart tried to motivate the medicine cat, "Would StarClan send you that sign if the hadn't chosen me?"

Runningnose seemed skeptical, but knew he had to go. "Ok, Fireheart," Runningnose said as optimistically as possible, "Let's go." Fireheart followed the medicine cat. A pinch of nervousness made Fireheart question what was happening. Was he really to be leader of ShadowClan?