Chapter 9

Loki's POV

Ella sent me back in a blur of air, sending me flying across the room.  I hit the wall, hard, and fell to the floor. 

I gawked as Ella rose from the bed, fire in her eyes as well as in her hand.  The flame danced around the palm of her hand, though it didn't burn her.  It was her. 

I crawled into a sitting position and for the last time in centuries, I felt fear creep into the forefront of my mind. 

She froze all of a sudden, seeing the fear and terror in my face, and dropped to the ground. The fire disappeared as she gathered her face in her hands, sobbing.

I couldn't believe what I had just seen.  As if I couldn't be any more attracted to this girl, then I find this out: she is as broken, as powerful as me. 

I couldn't believe Ella hadn't told me, though I don't see how I could blame her. I grimaced, the monster inside me churning and banging and roaring as he tried to break loose.  I slammed myself against the wall trying to keep the beats at bay.

But it was too late as he broke the chain I had spent so long building.  Ella's powerful display caught me off guard, and when I was surprised the beast took advantage of that.

It was released within seconds. I felt my skin morph, looked down at my hand that had turned a pale blue.  Without seeing, I knew that my eyes were a crimson red. 

My heart pounded as I feared how she would react. Would Ella be afraid of me?  Would she scream in fear? Cower in shame?

"Loki? I-I'm so sorry.  I'm a m-monster."  She wept and my heart broke for her.  No, she was not a monster.  Only a being of immense power and ability.  I, on the other hand, actually was. 

"No, my darling. I believe that I am the true monster."  I stood up and faced her quickly for if I thought any further about it, I would lose my wits.  

Her eyes widened, her mouth fell a tiny bit as her lips formed a small"oh."

I stared at my feet, ashamed and embarrassed of my true figure.  I braced myself for Ella to throw things at me, to scream that I was hideous and disgusting and a monster. 

But she didn't.  She slowly rose to her feet, taking delicate steps toward me until she was just inches away. 

I closed my eyes, terrified of what would come next.  Maybe a slap across the cheek or a kick to my groin.  

But what happened next was not what I expected.  I felt a warm hand on my cheek, my eyes snapping open.  She cupped my face in her hands, looking at me in wonder.  In wonder.

"You're so beautiful," she mutters, caressing my face.  

"Beautiful is not the word to describe me, love,"  I said, sarcasm dripping in my voice. 

"You're right.  Breathtaking is better."  She giggles.  Ever so slowly, she strains her body upward and plants a sweet kiss on my cheek.  I feel my face go red, my palms start to sweat, and even a twitch in my groin area. 

It was all I could do to not take her right now and ravish her on that bed. 

"I'll be back soon," she whispers in my ear, sending chill bumps up my spine. She turned and stalked out the door, leaving me standing, speechless, as I felt my blue skin burn where her lips had just been.