Chapter 1

Beatrice and I had just gotten done with our IQ tests when the intercom came on.

"Tessalin Rogers and Beatrice Woodland please come to the office."

We both stood up and walked out of the classroom, through the school to the office and walked in.

"I'm Beatrice Woodland and this is Tessalin Rogers. We were called in here?" Bea told the lady.

"Ohh, yes. Go to the principal's office. He wants to see you." the lady explained.

We walked back and knocked on the door.

"Come in." We heard from inside.

We walked in to see our parents and a man and a woman.

"You wanted to talk to us?" I said.

"Ahh, yes. We wanted to talk to you about your IQ scores." the principal said.

"Are they bad?" Bea asked worried.

"Quite the opposite actually. You both scored higher then anyone here has scored in the last decade. Tessalin, yours was a point higher then Beatrice's." He explained.

We both just stood there completely shocked. How is that even possible? Then the man spoke.

" I'm Colonel Graff.We would like to offer you a spot in our program."

"Does that mean those nasty monitors are going to be installed?" I asked.

"No, you would be skipping the first step and going straight to battle school." the lady explained.

"Can Bea and I have a moment please?" I asked.

They all nodded their heads and I pulled her out of the room.

"Lin, you're not seriously considering this are you?" Bea seemed shocked.

"Of course I am. Look only certain people get in the program and it's extremely rare to be able to skip a level. Please, don't make me do this alone." I begged her.

She shook her head yes and I hugged her. I opened the door and said,

" We would be happy to join your program."

Everyone looked pleased except for our mothers. They never wanted us to be in the program, but when you are given a gift you have to use it.

"You leave tomorrow morning, so use tonight to say goodbye and get some rest." Graff said.

                            ° ° °

Bea and her parents decided to spend the night over my house because we wanted to spend every second together. Her parents were like my second mom and dad. Same with my parents and her. We played games and ate and watched movies. But, we had to go to bed at 10 because of how early we had to get up.

"Lin, can you promise me something?" Bea asked as we were falling asleep.

"Yea, Bea?" I asked.

"No matter what happens we will NEVER be enemies." She said.

"As long as no one calls you Bea or me Lin." I said jokingly.

She laughed and went to bed. You see, when we were young we made a promise that to everyone else we would be Tessa and Tris. I was the only one that called her Bea and she was the only one that called me Lin. That's how close we are. We have been best friends since Pre-K. Nothing will ever mess that up.