Epilogue

A DAY IN THE NOW

I can't really vouch for what happened that day. I mean, hell, a lot happened. A lot occurred afterward, too. Repercussions, mostly.

If you were wondering, Daemon's alternate life never disappeared. It never would, it was never meant to. In fact, I'm coming to the conclusion that it was supposed to be like this from the beginning. Daemon, the man with two lives.

But one thing was for certain: I was done with traveling. Many times over Robert tried to persuade me otherwise. He persisted for a good year, maybe once a month, but he eventually had an adventure of his own to pursue that stopped him. God knows that'd make a good story; maybe you should ask him about it.

It's a sad ending, in a sense. I'd swore my life would be bound to time travel. But after Adrien, there was nothing to keep me going. Temporally, that is. After making things up with Jean Bailey, I got my job back at Garrison's Diner and worked my ass off until the end of summer, where I enrolled in the University of Nebraska in Lincoln. It's sort of a big deal for me. I wouldn't have gone through with it without Adrien, which I guess serves as the educational factor. But the truth is that this isn't some After School Special; there were a lot of in betweens. A lot of gaps you didn't see. Questions left unanswered. But there are people who seek them out, I promise.

The truncanes in my possession, along with my manual, took to gathering dust in the attic of the house that Sawyer and I settled in.

Yes, Sawyer.

We eventually mended. It wasn't all at once, and even these days we have our ups and downs. But with it came something that I hadn't been able to see before. I don't really think it even existed before, for me. But it was love. Don't take that for cheese; I still throw popcorn at him as much as I can. And if you think that was the last time we'd snuck out of a two-story window, you're sorely mistaken. We're about the oddest couple you could imagine.

But those truncanes -- they were left in the dust. Until the day they weren't.