Chapter 3

Chapter 3

The Shadow Region was filled with a dark aura, roaming around to each and every daemon, and seems to fill them with power. The sound of footsteps on the grey dirt bounced off the walls of what looked like a cave.

        The walls were a dirty grey in colour, and strange liquid of what seems to be sap of some sort would drip down until it dried solid. There were stoned pillars that connected the ceiling to the dusty ground, and there was no source of light, yet somehow the cavern was illuminated dimly.

        A shady looking man stepped out from a corner. He wrapped his large coat tighter around his body and lifted the collar around his neck higher before looking around and proceeding ahead.

        The daemon stopped by a huge crack in the wall, and looked around some more.

        “I have it,” he said in a raspy voice, looking away from the crack and acting as if he was merely resting on the wall.

        “And does it work?” said another man’s voice, coming from the dark crack.

        “Yes. I tested it myself. Several times I travelled between here and the damned Surface. No strings attached, no nothing.”

        “Excellent…”

        “How do you wish to receive it?”

        Though the crack in the wall was dark, and surely hid no entity, the man could sense a wicked smile behind all the darkness.

        “Bring it to me, to the place where rain meets fire, and fire meets bloodshed.”

        The man bowed his head towards the crack. “Yes, my Lord.”

        “Wait…I sense a presence.”

        Suddenly, a blue glowing ring expanded at the other side of the cave’s area. Blue sparks rose from the dust. It moved upwards as two pairs of feet appeared. It was as though the sparks were creating people out of thin air.

        A growl came from the crack, and the aura the man felt disappeared.

        Do not fail to give me my Pendant. Fail, and I will personally see to your death.

        “Wait, my Lord!”

        The man turned around to see the blue ring diminish, absorbed into the male slayer.

        “Well, well,” began Sapphyre. “I didn’t expect to stumble upon a daemon so soon.”

        Jett snickered. “This is the Shadow Region. Daemons are everywhere down here. What else would you expect?”

        The two removed their hoods to show their faces clearly in the dim light of the cavern. The daemon stared at Sapphyre and Jett.

        “You…” he said in a low voice. “You’re those two hunters. The ones who destroyed our portal!”

        Sapphyre moved a few steps closer to the daemon, who had pressed his body against the wall and began shifting away.

        “Say, you wouldn’t happen to know about a daemon who holds the power to travel between our dimensions, do you?”

        The daemon’s hands began to tremble as he held the collar of his coat tighter together. He chuckled nervously, sweat travelling down his brow. Every step back he took, a step forward Sapphyre took.