two

I bursted through the exit doors in an explosive force, strangled fits of pants entangling in my throat. I poured my breaths out shakily, hands grasping at my knees for a spell. Maybe I should have called for help? Mandy sounded desperately afraid on the phone and with the fear of the letter I discovered still fresh in my system it seemed to dismiss my better judgement.

The thick, heavy clouds had settled into the sky, blockading the moon and only source of light from me. The night was a blinding darkness, lacking a star detailed skyline. The sudden shift in climate threw me a bit, especially as Autumnʼs freezing fingers shoved themselves down my throat. Chills crept along my arms and legs as I observed the world around me.

My eyes searched for my car in the abandoned parking lot, where I figured Mandy would be located. I shot out into the blankness with no exact sense of direction, until I stumbled across a silver automobile in the far distance. Itʼs silhouette danced against the night as I lessened the distance between us quickly. I threw the driver door open to find Mandy curled up beside it in the passenger seat. I hastily fumbled into the leather seat, slamming the door shut. I caught my breath, before leaning over steadily. ʻʻM-Mandy?ʼʼ I whispered, tenderly placing a hand on her shoulder.

ʻʻClaire,ʼʼ she whimpered defeated, turning her face slowly to me.

ʻʻAre you okay?ʼʼ I asked and she nodded cautiously.

ʻʻJust a little freaked out.ʼʼ She muttered and shifted in her seat. ʻʻI was just sitting here and this guy walked out in front of the car with this guy and...ʼʼ She drew her knees closer to her chest and burrowed her face in them. I ran my hand along her arm comfortingly. ʻʻHe just stabbed him. Like without warning. With a knife...how can people be so evil, Claire?ʼʼ

ʻʻItʼs what makes us people in the first place, Mandy.ʼʼ I told her, retracting my hand and placing it on the steering wheel.

ʻʻHe shoved the guyʼs body into a car and then just drove offーʼʼ

ʻʻLetʼs stop talking about it, ʻkay? Iʼll just take you home and you can get some rest.ʼʼ I assured her with as much positivity as I could muster in this bewildering situation.

ʻʻWe should call the cops.ʼʼ

ʻʻI will when I get home.ʼʼ I promised.

ʻʻBut...someone just...died, Claire.ʼʼ She seemed unable to process this bit of information as she lowered her head against her kneecaps once more.

ʻʻDonʼt worry, Mandy.ʼʼ I said. With that final comment I turned the key in the ignition and the car sparked to life. ʻʻDonʼt worry.ʼʼ I whispered, more for myself than for the cowering friend beside me.

 ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄

The space of the car felt so quiet and alone without Mandy beside me. I had the radio playing lowly, some Nirvana song that talked about love and heartbreak. The darkness outside my window was consuming and fascinating all at once, the way the brightness of my lights shimmered against the freezing air, how they illuminated certain details against the black pavement of the road...

Trying to keep my mind occupied proved harder than planned.

Someone was stabbed. Killed. Shoved into a car and taken away. And worst of all, Mandy had to sit there and witness it all. And on top of that I received yet another letter from the anonymous sender. All of these odd occurrences were just too painful and difficult to stand.

I reached into my purse for my cell, deciding now that Mandy had left the car it was an okay time to finally call the police. I didnʼt want to overwhelm her with everything that had happened because I was aware of how she acted in these situations. Human life was beyond precious to her, a result of the devastating death of her brother Michael two years ago. He had committed suicide for unknown reasons.