Chapter 1: Too Much

Why did they have to chose me, I wasn't the smartest kid, I wasn't the strongest, I was just about average. So why would they send me on a mission like this. Unless they were hiding something from me. My thoughts were disturbed as a girl named Kaiya tapped my shoulder,

"Come on!" She whispered.

"Let's just get this mission over with" We ran through the jungle trees with branches slapping across our bodys. I looked up and saw a shadow hidden in the trees. They were catching up. We finally reached a small building, our HQ with a pit right next to it. The Pit's where all the people with too much G.U.N.K go... (G.U.N.K is something that lets you survive. If you have too much of it, you could die, too little, you could also die. But sometimes the effects are even worse than dying, turning you into a monster forever. Never being sane, having something else control you. From what I've heard it was Horrible.)

"Wait" Kaiya said. "Let's go see if we can see anything inside the pit, I've always wanted to know what they G.U.N.K's looked like." I knelt down beside Kaiya as we looked down into the pit. That's when I noticed the tears streaming down Kaiya's face.

"What's wrong?" I asked with a nervous whisper.

"Mark." She said.

"You have too much gunk."

"Way past the limit." She said, not looking at me.

"No, that can't be right!"

"I just got checked last week, I was perfectly fine." I said. She put her hand on my shoulder as she said.

"I read your thoughts, that's what they were hiding from you." My mouth opened to argue. And that's when she pushed me. The world came screaming by me as I fell deeper and deeper into the dark pit. The last thing I heard before I blacked out was...

"I'm sorry."