Under the Pledging Tree

One-Shot for @StreetRacer-Sam . Based loosely on the Pledging Tree episode, but has no Team Rocket and actually makes sense in my opinion. Technically not a tag but oh well. Dedicated to him for making me write for once.

(Serena)

"Do you want some cotton candy, Ash?"

Ash's head jerked to look at her. "Sure!" he grinned enthusiastically.

Serena returned it as she handed over the second stick she'd bought. Rainbow lights covered the area, glancing off the metallic rides in a shower of color. Everything seemed so magical tonight, Serena thought excitedly.

"Want some, Dedenne?"

Her temporary partner cheered happily, eating his half. Serena giggled at his pudgy cheeks, not sure if she should point out the smear of blue on the Electric-type's face. Subtly handing Dedenne her handkerchief, Serena turned back to Ash.

"It's almost time for the lighting ceremony to start." Serena thought out-loud, surprised at how low the sun was. They'd spent away the afternoon shopping and riding a few park rides while Bonnie and Clemont shopped for their partners. Since they couldn't allow them see their presents early, the group had swapped Pokémon for the day. Clemont's Bunnelby was currently trailing Ash as Dedenne claimed a spot on Serena's shoulder.

Hurriedly shoving the remainder of his cotton candy in his mouth, Ash grabbed her free hand and raced towards the edge of the festival. Along with celebrating people's bonds with their Pokemon, the festival held a Christmas tree lighting ceremony. Dedenne held on to Serena tightly while Bunnelby raced after them.

"Ash, look," Serena breathed, clutching her stomach. Multi-colored lights were strewn across the largest tree she'd ever seen. Flying-type Pokémon flew around it, keeping any of the small Pokémon from falling off. Branches held millions of little ribbons, which Serena soon learned were the wishes of people and Pokemon alike.

"Want to add one Serena?" Ash's question burst her daydream of winning the Master Class Performance. Rumor had it that people who added their wishes before the ceremony had them come true.

Nodding vigorously, Serena accepted the pink ribbon. Scribbling her daydream on the piece of paper, she turned to Bonnie's Dedenne. Technically he was Clemont's, but the group knew he was really Bonnie's. "Do you want me to write yours?"

Sparks fizzled off his cheeks, a resounding yes for the small rodent. Doing her best to listen to the squeaks, she repeated what she thought he meant until she understood. Adding it to a blue strip, she followed Ash to the tree. Searching for a low hanging branch took awhile, but in the end Ash had to climb higher to put theirs up. Serena hoped with all her heart that he didn't read hers. It would be too embarrassing. She knew it wasn't anything new, but reading someone's writing was like reading their mind. Doing so allowed a person access to another's soul, the very essence of who they were.

She saw his feet first, then a shock of hair that nearly blended into the night as he descended. Serena didn't realize she was holding her breath until his feet had nearly found solid ground, allowing her tight forehead muscles to loosen.

"You didn't have to go so high up," she called softly.

Ash laughed. "Where's the fu-"

Serena leaped forward, but she was too late. His foot missed the last branch, causing him to land harshly on the unforgiving ground. Dirt covered his clothing, but Serena paid no mind as she reached down to help him up.

"Guess I really am as clumsy as Misty always said." Serena saw his grimace as he put his weight on his left foot, although he tried to laugh it off.