Chapter 1: Welcome to The Literature Club

If you want to set the scene try playing this music while reading. To loop right click and press loop (only works on a computer) Doki Doki Literature Club is Property of DanSalvato. Download The Game BEFORE you read the novel. You don't want to spoil it. Tee-hee. ~ Sayori

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLc5ZKngbAPXMG4yjq9ESGfqblQfL9g4-p

"Heeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyy!"

I see an annoying girl running in my direction, waving her hands in the air like she's totally oblivious to any attention she may be causing.  That girl is Sayori, my neighbor and childhood friend since we were little. We used to walk to school together but around middle school, she kept oversleeping more and more frequently and I would get tired of having to wake her up but if she's going to chase after me like this, I feel better off running away. However, I sigh and idle in front of the sidewalk and wait for Sayori to catch up to me.

Sayori is panting heavily. "I overslept, but I caught you this time!" Sayori says with a smile. "Maybe, but only because I decided to wait for you," I say, quite annoyed with Sayori.  "Ehhh? The way you put it makes you sound like you were thinking about leaving me. That's mean (y/n)- kun. "Well, if people stare at you for acting weird then I don't want them to think we're a couple," I complain. "Fine, Fine. But you did wait for me after all. I guess you don't have it to be mean even if you want to." Sayori says teasingly. "Whatever you say Sayori." I shrug. Sayori lets out a cute giggle. 

We cross the sidewalk and make our way to school. As we draw near the streets become increasingly speckled with other students making their daily commute.

"By the way (y/n). Have you decided on a club to join yet?" Sayori asks with a small grin on her face. "A club? I told you already, I'm really not interested in joining any clubs. I haven't been looking either." I groan. "Eh? That's not true. You told me you would join a club this year." Sayori whines. "Did I....?" I ask. I'm sure it's possible that I did in one of our many conversations where I dismissively go on with whatever she's talking about. Sayori likes to worry a little too much about me when I'm perfectly content just getting by on the average while spending free time with games and anime. "Uh-huh. I was talking about how I'm worried that you won't learn how to socialize or have any skills by the time you reach college.  Your happiness is really important to me you know and I know you're happy now but I'd die at the thought of you becoming a NEET in a few years because you're not used to the real world. You do trust me, right? Don't make me keep worrying about you. " Sayori says, very concerned for my wellbeing. "Alright, Alright....I'll look at a few clubs if it makes you happy. No promises though." I complain. "Do you at least promise me you will try a little?" Sayori sighs. "Yeah, I guess I can promise you that." I shrug. "Yaay~" Sayori cries with joy. Why do I let myself get lectured by such a carefree girl? More than that, I'm surprised that I even let myself relent to her. I guess seeing her worry so much about me makes me ease her mind at least a little bit-- even if she does exaggerate everything inside her head. 

The school day is as ordinary as ever, and it's over before I  know it. After I pack up my things I stare blankly at the wall looking for an ounce of motivation. "Clubs..."   Sayori wants me to check out some clubs. I guess I have no choice but to start with the anime club...

"Hello?" Sayori shouts, looking for me. "Sayori?" I ask.  Sayori must have come in the classroom while I was spacing out. I look around and realize that I'm the only one left in the classroom. "I thought I'd catch you coming out of the classroom but I saw you just sitting here and spacing out so I came in. Honestly, you're even worse than me sometimes....I'm impressed" Sayori teases. "You don't need to wait for me if it's going to make you late for your own club," I complain. "Well, I thought you might need some encouragement.  So...." Sayori blushes. "So what?" I ask. "Well. Maybe you can come to my club!" Sayori says with a bright smile. "Sayori...There is no way I'm going to your club." I complain. "Eeeehhhhh? Meanie!" Sayori whines. Sayori is the vice president of The Literature Club. Not that I was ever aware that she had any interest in literature. In fact, I'm 99% sure that she only did it because she thought it would be fun to help start a new club.  Since she was the first one to show any interest after the one who proposed the club, she inherited the title "Vice President." That said, my interest in literature is guaranteed to be even less. "Yeah, I'm going to the anime club," I say, trying to avoid going to Sayori's club. "C'mon please?" Sayori begs. "Why do you care so much?" I complain. "Well...I kinda told the club yesterday that I would bring in a new member and Natsuki made cupcakes and everything..."  Sayori says in embarrassment, giggling. "Don't make promises you can't keep!" I yell in disbelief. I can't really tell if Sayori is that much of an airhead, or if she's so cunning to have planned this all out. I let out a long sigh. "Fine...I'll stop by for a cupcake, okay?" I complain. "Yes! Let's go!" Sayori says in joy.