AI Like You

I could sense her eyes on me.

I wondered if Benji felt the same. According to his dimpled grin, I'd say that yes, yes he could feel her watching.

# if only...

Erica's eyes weren't the only ones glued to us as we slow danced. If I looked at anyone, I was sure I would catch their gaze.

# Why are they looking? Have they figured it out?

I felt my teeth grind together in an effort to stop my script from scrambling. Benji had made it seem so easy in my code;

x=Benji

y=Erica

if x+y="true":

print ("Purpose complete")

if else:

print ("Purpose failed")

# I only have to make Erica jealous. That'll make her want him back, apparently. That will make Benji happy.

"Hey, Ani," Benji murmured into my ear. I gulped in some air I didn't need. "Don't freak out. It's working."

His enthusiasm was contagious, as always. I smiled up at him. His dimples came back again.

"And you said I couldn't do it," Benji said to Jack as he and Kate twirled past.

"No," Jack hissed back at his lab partner. "I said you shouldn't. Why couldn't you do this the normal way?"

My brow creased. "This plan is unorthodox?"

Benji just chuckled. "I was short on time. I had two days to find another date for this thing."

"And so," Kate drawled, "you built one."

"I was already working on artificial neurotic intelligence for my masters. Might as well get extra use out of her."

I pursed my lips.

# if only...

As if on cue, a voice cut in.

"Spare the next dance, Ben?"

Benji shrugged, nonchalant. I sensed his heart speed up, though.

"Can't you see I'm with someone?" he said.

I turned to give her the catty grin Kate had taught me. It did the trick. Perhaps too well. Erica sneered at me.

"You work fast."

"Vice versa. Where's your new boy, anyway?"

Benji's dimples had disappeared. He was hurting. But Erica was equal to his happiness in my code.

# How could what hurts him make him happy?

Erica pointed to a table nearby full of rowdy men. My teeth clenched together when she gave him a meaningful look.

"You'd never leave me on the dance floor. I've forgotten what a catch you are."

"Have you?"

Breaths I didn't need to take came in short.

# He wants this. The plan is working.

"Too bad you left him, huh?"

Erica's head snapped to me. "I'm sorry?"

I plastered my catty smile back on, though I had no idea what I was doing. All I knew was that she didn't deserve him.

Benji shot me a look I couldn't decipher and then his dimples reappeared. But not because of me.

"Erica, this is Ani," he said. "Ani's just a friend."

The smirk on Erica's face busted my nonexistent heart in two. Benji's next words crushed it, though.

"So, the next dance?"

>Purpose Complete

Then he walked away from me.

# if only...