Mistakes

That night she refrained from emptying Edna, but what she did empty was an entire bottle of bourbon on her own. With every passing hour she felt more and more emotions she wished she didn't want to have to deal with. She thought of how her life would have been if she hadn't turned into the creature she was, if her parents were somewhat normal. She would have died a millennium ago, broken by the one she thought she could give her life to. Refusing to relive the memories of her last human days, she grabbed her second half empty bottle and left the house, not bothering to take any vehicle to speed up her journey. Walking down the empty streets of the sleeping town, she began to walk down a road that led out of town. She ventured for what felt like hours, then suddenly stopped and listened to her surroundings. Ashton then dropped to the ground, laying with her arms out and staring at the stars above her. 20 minutes pass and she looked at the phone she had bought a few weeks prior and found it to be 2 in the morning. Just as she put her phone in her jacket pocket and lied her arm back down, she saw the slowing headlights of an on coming car.

She closed her eyes and listened, hearing the car door open then the hurried footsteps of the approaching driver. "Hey, are you okay?" it was the voice of a woman probably in her early thirties to late twenties. Ashton opened her eyes slowly and groaned, "I'm.. lost." "And you're laying in the middle of the road?" She then sat up slowly, "I'm not that kind of lost. Metaphorically, existentially." The woman didn't know how to respond, "Do you need help?" Ashton looked at her from over her shoulder, "Why yes I do. Can you help me?" then she looked down, took out her bottle and took a swig. "Your drunk." Ashton scoffed, "Well, yeah maybe a little." The woman started walking back to her car, "Hey wait, I really do need help." The woman, being at least 30 feet away from her by now, was stopped by Ashton in seconds and was grabbed, "Don't move." "I don't want any trouble." Ashton smiled sadly, "Neither do I, but that's all I got, is trouble." She then took another swig from her bottle, shaking slightly. "Why can't I move?" the woman asked frightened. "What's your name?" "Clara." "Clara, I have a secret. I have a big one, and I've never said it out loud. I mean, what's the point, it's not going to change anything. It's not going to make me good. It's not going to make me adopt a puppy. I can't be what other people want me to be. What he wants me to be. This is who I am, Clara."

Clara began to cry, "Are you going to hurt me?" Ashton placed her hands on her shoulders, and stared at the ground, "I'm not sure, because you, my existential crisis, do I kill you or do I not kill you?" She began to cry harder, "Please don't." "But I have to Clara, because I'm not human. And I miss it. I miss it more than anything in the world. That is my secret, but there's only so much hurt a girl can take." Clara began panicking, "Please don't.." Ashton looked into her eyes for a long moment, then quietly muttered, "Run." releasing her compulsion. But just as Clara reached her open car door, Ashton aggressively turned her around and began ripping into her carotid artery. She felt a tear go down her cheek as she devoured the woman, feeling her resist less and less. In seconds the woman fell to the ground, blood covering her face. Wiping her tears away she began to speed run back to the house, not wanting to spend another minute alone.

Edward was running through the forest, trying to get his mind off of what he had done to Ashton, he felt appalled by his actions. Just as he was about to head back, he heard a familiar heart beat and the sound of walking. Running to it he found himself at a back road Ashton walking down the middle of it. He watched her in curiosity, feeling an uncontrollable urge to go to her, hold her, apologize for ever raising his voice and saying such despicable things. She was drinking heavily, he could smell it and see her take swig after swig. Suddenly she stopped and listened, then fell to the ground, staring at the sky for half an hour. He watched her check her phone, then close her eyes as a car approached. He watched the entire scene in shame and shock, shameful of his behavior to push her to this, and shock to hear her admit such things to her victim. He analyzed the compulsion she used and was still dumbstruck. As Clara fell to the ground dead, he saw the bloody face of a crying Ashton, and then she was gone. He stumbled back, then headed home as fast as he could.

The moment she bursted threw the front door, she dropped to the floor and covered her mouth, blood still covering it. She sobbed loudly, unable to control herself as the harsh words circled her mind. She was then in her bedroom and at her mini fridge in seconds, throwing it open. She found her water bottle full of blood and downed it in a few gulps. She slammed the door shut and stalked to her dresser, pulling a bottle of bourbon from her underwear drawer. She chugged it as the tears slid down her cheeks. Anger, sorrow, shame, and embarrassment erupted from her, feeling as though she had been damaged far worse than her only human lover. She remembered how he had beaten her senseless, then took advantage of her when he finally knocked her unconscious. Ashton rushed outside, then was on her roof in milliseconds. She drank heavily, trying her hardest to take her mind off of everything, no matter the extent. She knew Edward would never want to speak to her again, so she decided to do the one thing she promised herself she'd never do again. Slowly getting up, she carelessly stepped off the roof and ambled inside, her mind blank of thought. She walked straight to the terrified Edna, "You will guard my room, but never go inside. If anyone is to enter, you force them out of this house, no exceptions. You will not remember who I am unless looking at me." she compelled. The older woman blink, then nodded and went back to reading in the living room.

Ashton nodded, then slowly went to her room, locking the door behind herself. She numbly went to the only painting in the room that she liked and moved it aside slightly. Grabbing the small bottle of ashes, she grabbed her dagger from its hiding place and slowly dipped its tip into the ashes. Placing the small bottle onto her night stand, she lied on her bed carefully. She positioned the blade over her heart and took a slow, deep breath as another tear slid down her face. "You were right Edward." she muttered, then quickly plunged the dagger into her own heart. She grew still, turning grey with veins showing across her body quickly. Her hands fell to her side as she slipped peacefully into death once again.