Chapter Fourteen

Chapter 14

                        "Let me go!" Jade cried, struggling. "Help!"

                        The soldier gripped her tighter, then threw her over his lap like a saddle bag. "You're coming with me. Move, in the name of the king!" he cried to the bystanders around them.

                        They parted for the soldier.

                        "Help!" Jade cried out, but her only response was silence.

                        "Shut up!" the soldier growled, whacking her on the head.

                        Jade shut up.

                        The soldier trotted through the city, Jade silent and uncomplaining.

                        "Sir, could you spare some money?" Jade heard a young, male voice say a while later.

                        "I have no time for the likes of you!" the soldier sneered, and kicked the boy as they passed.

                        Jade craned her neck around to see him lying on the ground as they passed. When she met his eyes, he grinned. Suddenly, she was thrown from the horse. She fell to the ground, hitting her head hard on the cobbled street. She heard a dog frantically barking and the sounds of a fight taking place.

                        "Hurry! We have to hurry!" another boy said, running up to Jade. He had dark brown, almost black hair, and dark skin. He was grinning ear to ear as he ran towards her. "Nyte'll take care of the soldier, don't worry! We just have to get out of here!" he grabbed her arm and pulled her up. "Run!" He dragged her into a nearby alley. Jade noticed he had a strange accent that she had never heard before.

                        Jade glanced back and saw a man fighting the soldier, a dog excitedly dancing around their feet.

                        "Don't look back, just run!" the boy cried, tugging at her hand.

                        Jade ran, hand in hand with the boy. He led her down twisting alleys, confusing her and making her lose her sense of direction. In a matter of minutes, she was lost.

                        They finally stopped by a run-down building. Jade bent over to catch her breath.

                        "Come on, we can't stop now!" The boy urged.

                        "What about your friend?" She asked breathlessly.

                        "He'll be fine. He can handle that soldier. Now, let's go!" He tugged her into the building, down a flight of stairs, and into a half-finished basement. Jade could see a tunnel leading into the darkness.

                        The boy lit a lantern and headed towards the tunnel.

                        "Where are we?" Jade whispered, following him.

                        "Below the city," He whispered back.

                        "Where are we going?"

                        "Why are we whispering?" A voice interjected, as a dog barked loudly.

                        "Ah!" Jade jumped. She spun around and drew her sword, and swung.