Happiness

He cupped her face in his hands. Looking deeply into her soul with his incongruous gaze. "Ray?" His voice was barely above a whisper. Rachel was deep in thought. She wanted this. She knew she did but was it what he wanted? Would Zack be able to handle being a father? The questions bounced around the inside of her head at a maddening rate. "Rachel."

She was snapped back to the moment. "Huh?" Zack could tell she was thinking too hard. "Geez. Yer thinkin' so hard I think I see steam comin' outta those ears of yours." He smirked slightly before flicking her forehead. "I'm sorry. It's just a lot to think about." She rubbed the soreness. "Zack... Do you think..." She trailed off. "Huh? Do I think what? You gotta be more specific that that. Yer the brains here, remember?" With that, she grew more confident in her words.

"Do you think it would be okay if we.... If we were to start a family? Would that be ok with you?"

The man  froze up. Now his mind had been racing at a mile a minute. He tried his best to process the meaning. A family...He could start a family of his own. He could start over. He could rub it in the face of all the abuse and neglect he received from those who wronged him. His mother who abandoned him. He could live a better life with her. With Rachel and their child. He knew it would be dangerous. Reckless even.
Yet, he couldn't help imagining it. Seeing her cradling a small baby in her arms. Humming it a soft tune. The sight in his head was so vivid. It brought tears to his eyes. He'd have to work for it but that life could be his. He wanted it.

Zack was in a sensory overload. Between everything that happened between him and Rachel. Between realizing their feelings for each other, to making love for the first time, and now... Possibly starting a family. Though he didn't find it too strange. Considering the first time he met her he had grown attached to her real quick. Though at that time it was more of a protective bond that later grew into adoration and love followed shortly after. Though Zack hadn't acted on said feelings. Afraid of what it would entail.

Rachel however, was a different case entirely. She saw him as much more. Even in the short time they got to know one another. In the long year and a quarter he had been in prison, awaiting death row, she realized just how much she missed him. How much she needed Zack. And as he burst through that window she felt it. Seeing his bloodied face and signature smirk. The realization struck her faster than a speeding bullet. She had fallen for Isaac. Though decided to keep it a secret as well. As there was uncertainty. Rachel had never felt such a thing, which caused her to doubt those emotions for years.

As she really got to know the man, it became harder to keep it hidden. And having never felt anything like love, she felt a certain curiosity. A desire to explore these new emotions. Even as her wish to die had still been top priority. Now, she wasn't able to imagine it. Him putting an end to her life. She wanted to be with him. To stay by his side, answer his questions and help each other survive despite the odds.
She wanted to live again. And it was all thanks to him.

"Neither of us have really lived normal lives." She spoke. "Why should we have to do it now?" Zack blank. "You know... You're god damn right. To hell with bein' normal!" He smashed his lips into hers as the intense heat between their bodies started to ignite once again. Love and passion swarming their heads and hearts. Nothing would tear them apart. They wouldn't allow it. "That's it... Good girl."

Rachel started grinding her hips as he forced himself forward. Gripping her legs as she tightly wrapped them around his waist. His fingernails threatening to break skin. She rested her chin against his shoulder as they collided. Scratching her nails down his back. The both moaned and clenched their teeth as their senses were overcome with bouts of pleasure and pain.  "Ah! Yes! Ah! Ah! Isaac!" Zack's movements became rougher and more quick as she cried out his name.

"Ray....Rachel!" He yelled. His voice equal with intensity. "This is it.. I think I'm gonna!-" Rachel smiled as she felt it growing close again too. "Go ahead!..  Ah! Make me pregnant, Zack!" Zack felt as started to contract around him. Fluid dripped down onto his lap. He climaxed soon after. She screamed as she felt herself being filled with his warm seed. Once he was satisfied, he pulled himself back out. Releasing the excess. The sheets were in ruins.

Zack collapsed back down on the bed as Rachel crawled over. Laying her head on his chest. His heart pulsing against her eardrum as she felt it rise and fall. She moved her arm across his sweaty body. Taking his hand. He followed. Entangling his  fingers with hers. A smile curling across his face. "So. Ya think it worked?" Zack used his free hand to run his fingers through the blonde strands. Moving the loose strands that clung to her face. She sat up to meet his lips. Towering slightly above. "We'll know in 9 months."

There it was again. An unfamiliar Rachel. One full of emotions yet Zack hadn't felt the urge to cease it. He was enthralled. "Ray... Yer face!" She blank at him with confusion. "What? Is there something wrong with my face?" Zack suddenly felt dumb for even bringing it up.

"It's nothin. Just the same boring expression as usual." He smiled mischievously.

Rachel wasn't buying it. She moved her hand to pinch his cheek. Zack yelped, knocking her off as he sat up. "Yer gonna pay for that!" He started tickling her ribs mercilessly.
"Ahh! No! No!" She yelled between uncontrollable laughter. Zack persisted. Even as she squirmed. He laughed too. Finding her struggle to move his arms away adorable and futile. His arms got tired soon enough and he ceased the unbearable tickle session.

They looked at each other in silence. He was right. Something about her really had changed. She looked happy. Alive. The light really had returned to the haunting, cold blue. "Wow Ray.... Yer eyes. They really do look better this way. They're not dead or borin' looking anymore." He smiled.

"It's all thanks to you Zack. You make me happy. I truly do feel alive again thanks to you." She smiled in return. She brushed his cheek.

"I love you, Zack."  He cupped her hand against his face. Smiling tenderly.

"I love you too, Ray."

They exchanged another kiss before laying back down together. Their arms and legs intertwined. The silence was comfortable. They felt at home. Enjoying each other's warmth.

Though Zack being who he was, he decided to interrupt the calm atmosphere.

"So, whaddya say we go for round two?!" He wiggled his eyebrows his voice overly excited. She used the back of her hand to smack him on the chest. Zack had an insane libido, unlike her. She was exhausted and sore. Rachel just wanted to lay down.
"Guess that's a no then?" She blushed. Expecting a more aggressive reaction.

"Maybe later... Can we please just... Stay like this for a while?"

Zack let out an exasperated sigh in defeat. Flopping back down as he grumbled to himself.

"You're no fun."

He stuck his tongue out at her childishly. She let out a soft giggle as she buried her face in his neck. He pressed her even closer. Both thinking about what the future would entail for the two lovers on the run and how eager they were to be a family of their own and undo all the wrong that was done to them in their pasts.

They had, for the very first time, felt truly loved and happy in one another's company.

Nothing could separate them. Not now, not ever.