Why? (Lauren's POV)

"Why?" I thought, "Why does she have to be so...her..and why does she have to be a girl?"

I was sitting in the Courtyard at lunch, nibbling on a salad, my boyfriend Jared's arm draped around her shoulder, my friends gabbing away about this dress and that boy and which concert they were going to that summer.  But my attention was elsewhere. 

It was across the Courtyard, where Danielle Cecelia sat with her odd yet perfect mixture of stoners, skaters, drama nerds, and the few guys on the boxing team.  All they had in common was Danielle. Danielle was a stoner, skater, drama geek, and boxer.  And she wanted to hang out with all of her friends, and they wanted to hang out with her.

So they did.

That's where I wanted to be.

I felt like I was suffocating here.

So monogamous.

So pretentious.

This was all just an act.

A lie.

My relationship was a lie. I don't even think I like boys.

My friendships were lies.  They were all just catty and rude and mean.

I wanted to be over there.  Talking about our big chorus trip to California this summer.  Feeling free to be who I am.  Not being judged constantly for what I say or what I'm wearing.  Hanging out with that weird mixture of people.  I wanted to listen to their weird mixture of angry rap and punk and scene that somehow worked perfectly together and was always blaring at their group of tables. But most of all, I wanted to be in Danielle's arms.

Yes.  That's right.  I'm in love with Danielle.  I have been since second grade.  And no one knows.  I don't even want to accept it.