DAMN (Danielle's POV)

I was listening to my music when I felt a nudge on my shoulder.  I looked up from my writing to see Lauren and her prick of a boyfriend in front of me.

Damn...

I would love to just eat that girl up.

I let my eyes roll over the length of her body, resting on her chocolate eyes.  I wasn't a boob or butt girl, I was an eye girl.

All of a sudden I heard the word party from Jared's stupid jerk ass mouth.

I turned to Jay and smiled.  Maybe this weekend wouldn't suck so much after all.

*Flashback*

I was 10 years old.  I sat next to my mother, playing Pokemon on my DS.  My dad had left for Iraq 2 months ago.  I missed his piggyback rides and I missed my mother singing around the house but I didn't really understand what was going on.

At least not until that afternoon.

My mother got a call.  After a minute, her hand flew up to her mouth, her eyes pooled with tears.  She dropped the phone, it crashed to the floor and shattered.  But I didn't hear a thing.  The room was spinning.  The air was foggy.  My best friend, my mother had collapsed to the floor along with the phone, her tears streaming down her face.

"Mommy, mommy.  Stop crying.  It's okay."

"Come her, me amor," She whispered. "Daddy..daddy's gone, bella," She croaked out.  "He's not coming back..ever."

"Why, mamma?" I said, tears forming in my eyes.

"Your pappa is a brave man," my mother said.  "He saved many other men, but he couldn't save himself.  He loves you very much, me amor.  But he can't come back home.  He's in a place called heaven and he can't come back."

"God will keep him safe, mamma. Right?"

"Of course, me amor... Of course,"

But now I know that God had forgotten her.  God had left her alone, 29 years old, without a husband, with a ten year old daughter who would later develop social anxiety, agoraphobia, PTSD, depression, and separation anxiety.  She no longer believed in God.  Because God had taken her love, her life, her happiness.

She would never be the same again.

James Andrew Carter

1979-2008

Husband of Maria Cecelia Galliano

Father of Danielle Cecilia Carter