Prolouge

I grabbed the old tattered doll my mother made for me, the smell of the sea from many sun-filled days assaulted my senses. A shiver of unease racked my body as the sand flew from under our feet. "We're almost there" my mother yelled earnestly over the rushing of the waves. "This is where we're from" she motioned with an excited gesture of her hands at the whole ocean as I felt the old fibers of the doll that would surely fall apart soon.

My hair was whipped around by the strong gush of wind that brought a small chill. I rubbed my arms together for warmth. The unease from before returned and it slithered down my spine. The sound of a distant hum overtook my body and my mother's lilting voice reaches my ears.

"Hush now,storeen
Close your eyes and sleep
Waltzing the waves
Diving the deep
Stars are shining bright
The wind is on the rise
Whispering words of long lost lullabies
Oh, won't you come with me?
Where the moon is made of gold
And in the morning sun
We'll be sailing
Oh, won't you come with me?
Where the ocean meets the sky
And as the clouds roll by
We'll sing the song of the sea"

When my ears were no longer filled with the voice that felt like the warm touch of the ocean and the warmth of the sun my eyes flew open. An unsettling feeling began to grow inside me. I glanced behind me and my blood ran cold. My mother was engulfed in shadows. The kind that you see lurking in alleys between taverns where the drunkards have blacked out and the pirates make their deals.. Her eyebrows were scrunched together and her hands were clenched into fists. She had taken her bottom lip between her teeth to keep from screaming out in anguish. I felt the sand under my feet as I ran to her aid.

She had disappeared. I heard a scream that seemed to come from everywhere. A scream that could only have been of a pain that splits through your entire being. After the sound dissipated my throat was filled with the same feeling as eating sand. The tears streaming down my face and the inhuman scream that echoed around the whole entire beach made me look like all the stages of grief at once and it stayed like that for years...