Chapter 2: The Mysterious Woman

Yugi found himself unable to sleep. As he lay on his bed, staring up at the topaz stone he was given, he couldn’t stop thinking about that mysterious guy in the store today, nor get his ‘warning’ out of his head. Who exactly was this Nashwa person and why did he have to steer clear of her? And what was he looking for?

He had to admit that he was surprised when the guy wasn’t interested in the Duel Monsters cards. From all past experiences, especially involving Egypt, they all had something to do with duelling. It’s strange to think that things could be settled without duelling.

Crash!

The sound of glass shattering immediately pulled Yugi from his thoughts. He said up straight in bed and became silent. The sound was so telling and loud. Something was happening downstairs, in the hobby shop. Had that guy come back for something? Or was it that girl he had warned him about?

Soon, more sounds followed.

Dropping the stone onto his bed, Yugi slipped on his slippers before hurrying his way down stairs, trying to move as silently as he could. With each step his took, the sounds of destruction grew louder and louder. Someone was going all out in the store. But why?

He had better be careful.

Reaching the bottom step, Yugi pressed his back against the wall and peered around the corner. What he saw was a disaster zone. Display units, shelves and posters had been practically destroyed and were piled together in the centre of the shop. Duel Monster Cards were scattered about, starter packs ripped open and thrown to the floor carelessly.

And in the middle of all of the chaos was the form of a young woman. Again, she was taller than Yugi by a foot or so. She had sharp gold eyes with thick eyelashes. Her hair was golden blonde at the top of her head and her bangs, but faded into a pitch black at the tips, reaching to her waist. She was wearing short white dress with golden trimmings, thick gold chains wrapped around her small waist.

The thick black boots on her feet, reaching her knees, kinda looked out of place.

She was ruthlessly tearing open the starter packs, flicking through the cards before rolling her eyes and dropping them to the floor, stepping on them in frustration. She groaned in annoyance as she stomped over to the debris pile she made and huffed.

“Useless,” she hissed as she drove her boot into the debris pile. “None of these are what I am looking for.”

Yugi was aghast by how she was treating the Duel Monster cards. It made him feel uncharacteristically angry. “Hey!” he shouted as he stepped from his hiding spot. “What are you doing?”

The girl immediately turned toward him, her golden eyes taken on a more of a sharper glint. She removed her foot from the pile and strode toward him with a sense of purpose.

“These cards as worthless,” she snapped. “Where do you keep your rare cards?” she then went on to demand. She appeared expectant, like Yugi would actually tell her and give her what she wants.

“After wrecking my store? I don’t think I’ll tell you,” Yugi retorted defiantly. “All we have here are duel monster cards.”

“I’m not looking for duel monster cards, midget,” she once again snapped at him, her voice rather sharp and venomous. Just like her eyes. “Where have you kept the oracles?”

Yugi blinked, his anger momentarily forgotten. “Oracles?”

“Don’t play stupid with me,” she hissed, her patience seemed to be growing thin. However, her eyes suddenly darted off to the side and her face creased into a brooding expression. “That bastard was here. He must have gotten to them first. Shit…”