A few years earlier part 3

"I must have left you on the bed," Jade reasoned with herself. "Yeah, that's it." She decided to forget about it and continue reading.

She finished about three more chapters when she heard the load creek of the door. She slid Slappy and the book under the cot as Aunt Zoey descended with half a sandwich and a small bowl of soup. Jade watched as she rounded the railing.

"Girl, come get your lunch." She ordered, as she placed it at the small table in the corner.

"Yes Aunt Zoey." Jade said as she sat down.

"What is that?" Zoey demanded pointing at the arm that was sticking out from under the cot. Jade was about to answer, but Zoey already pulled out Slappy and the duffel full of books. "You little thief!" She gasped.

"I didn't steal them, R. L. Stine gave them to me!" Jade defended herself. "Honest,"

"Come upstairs right now! STEVE!" She hollered.

Jade was sat down on the couch, Zoey placed her books on the table with Slappy.

"What's all the fuss about, Darlin?" Steve asked, as he stepped into the living room. He was dressed in his work suit. Steve was handsome, but this didn't represent his soul at all.

"She's been stealing!" Zoey shrieked.

"Where did you get this stuff missy?" He demanded.

"R.L. Stine gave them to me." She answered tears forming. "Just look in the cover, it says so." She handed the top book over.

"This is obviously fake! You asked some random person to write that message." Steve accused.

"No. Just call Mr, Ghoulberg he'll tell you."

"Liar, think y'all some smart fox don'cha." Steve started to tear out the pages. "That Mr Ghoulberg, is no better than y'all ! Livin it up in that creepy home, like it's some Halloween rodeo!" He grabbed a handful of books and tossed them into the burning fireplace.

"No! Stop please!" Jade attempted to snatch one, but Zoey slapped her hand.

"We don't need you getting any ideas you little monster." Zoey scathed.

"YOU'RE THE MONSTERS!" Jade shrieked. Steve slapped her sending her to the floor. He picked up Slappy and carried him to the fire, but it suddenly went out.

"I'm throwing this here hideous thing out! Now if I ever catch ya'll with it again, I'll make you more sorry the dear on the hood of a truck. Do I make myself clear on that." Steve threatened Jade. She burst into tears and ran down to her cot.

She heard the door lock behind her. She didn't care, she covered her head with the thin blanket and cried silently through the night.

***

The hours passed and Jade still under the covers had finally calmed down enough to stop crying. Why did they always call her a monster, she never did anything to them, but as soon as her grandpa Dale passed. They moved her to the cellar and disowned her.

Her thoughts stopped when the load creek of the door cut suddenly in the dark. Jade peaked out to see a shadow of someone descending the stairs. Clomp... clomp... clomp... green glowing eyes greeted her as the three foot high figure stepped into view.

It waved, motioned for her to follow, then scrambled up the stairs. Jade hesitatingly followed. She reached the top, but it was dark and the eyes were gone.

"Hello Jadelynn." A raspy voice greeted in the dark.

"Who are you? Where are you?"

"I'm Slappy, remember? You brought me in from the cold." The voice answered. "Put me on your lap and read to me?"

"Wait, you're the real Slappy? Where are you hiding?" The lights suddenly flashed on.

"Happy Birthday Jadelynn." Slappy cheered he stood on the coffee table wearing a party hat. The room was filled with streamers, balloons and a black banner, that said happy birthday in the goosebumps font. Jade's jaw dropped.

"You did this for me?" She asked still keeping her distance from the ventriloquist doll.

"Sure, Just a little thank you for saving me from the streets." Slappy grinned then blowed into a noise maker. "I hope you like lemon cake. It was the only cake mix I could find."

"You made me a cake too?." Jade smiled, Slappy waved his hand and a double layered cake floated over to the coffee table. It had green frosting and black trimming, and icing spelling Happy Birthday Jadelynn. A black candle was lit in the center. Slappy held it up to her.

"Make a wish, Birthday Girl."

Jade thought it over then blew out a candle.

"What did you wish for?" Slappy asked.

"You know I can't tell." Jade giggled.

"Well I tried, now let's eat." Slappy hopped down and placed the cake down. He handed a fork to Jade. "Dig in." Jade took her fork and took a bite.

"Yummy, lemon filling." She squeaked. Slappy giggled, he pulled out some color paper.

"What is your favorite animal?"

"Spiders, snakes and bats." Jade answered. Slappy waved his hand, and the sheets of paper started to fold themselves into the animals she listed. Slappy then closed his eyes.

"Karru Marie Odanna Lomma Malamu Karano." The origami animals suddenly sprang to life. The spiders started to perform a tumbling act, while the origami bats flew around the room, performing tricks in an air show. The snakes slithered into a fun dance.

"WHAT IS GOING ON DOWN THERE!" Zoey's voice shrieked from upstairs.

"Oh no, Aunt Zoey." Jade whispered.

"Let me handle that old crow." Slappy smiled.

"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!" She screeched, as she entered the living room, followed by Steve and Glen. "LOOK AT THIS MESS." Her zebra print robe was open. "That cake was for Glens martial arts class!"

"What is that darn thing do'in back in the house!?!" Steve demanded. Jade backed up scared to be struck again."

"You're in big trouble now, you monster!" Glen grinned.

"I'd say you're the one who are the monsters!" Slappy rasped. Everyone froze and watched the wooden dummy step forward, his menacing eyes locked on them.