Chapter 12

I had run far ahead of Groot to try and get back to Drax before he got himself killed, but it was too late. I couldn't see Drax anywhere, but Ronan still stood there, looming with a smirk on his face as though he had done something great. I could feel my feet frozen in place. The man we had been chasing all this time was here, right in front of me without taking notice, and I could either do something, or hope that he didn't notice.

"Ronan!"

What the hell did you just do, Allyson?

He turned around and looked at me with a steely gaze that sent chills down my spine. His eyes were beady and almost sunken into his skull, making him vaguely resemble a corpse. His teeth were gnashed together in his mouth as he growled at me standing in my place. Intense chills shot through me, and for a second, I regretted saying anything. But then, the adrenaline hit, and as he got closer to me, I somehow felt ready to take him down.

He lunged at me, and I quickly shot myself out to the side, grabbing onto the cracks in a building and getting out of the way. I used the building to boost myself off and slam myself into him, ignoring the sharp pain as I struck the armor he was wearing. He quickly threw me off of him and slammed my back down onto the mud, ripping open part of the zipper track on the back of the dress. He grabbed the large hammer he had been using and raised it to slam it down on my head, but I quickly rolled out of the way and wrapped my noodle arms around it as he slammed one of the flat ends down on the ground. Him lifting it back up hoisted me off the ground, and I kicked his stomach before he swung out to get me off of the hammer.

I hesitated for a moment to throw my hair out of my face so that I could see him, and that's when he wrapped his hands tight around my neck and pinned me down to the ground. I started to panic, so I started thrashing and kicking at him, managing to nail him in the knee cap. He stepped back and let go before falling to the ground. I could feel my chest burning from the lack of air, but ignored it and stretched out to slam Ronan's head against the ground. I had done it twice, trying to break his helmet, before he managed to get ahold of me and throw me back onto the ground. I tried my best to react and knock him back onto the ground, when he struck some sort of nerve, or maybe a pressure point, and I collapsed onto the ground. I was immobile and couldn't open my eyes but I could still hear and feel. There was the whirring of a ship getting closer, likely Ronan's ship, and I could feel the intense heat from the jet.

I felt like such a failure as I heard him get onto his ship and take off, leaving us stranded on Knowhere with a missing Drax, a lagging Groot, and me immobilized. I didn't know what had happened to Peter, Rocket, and Gamora, so all I could do was hope that they were fine. I tried my best to move something, to twitch or open my eyes, but as hard as I thought, nothing happened. My panic started to increase as I heard large footsteps lumbering toward me, the ground shaking beneath me as they got closer. If I could scream, I would have, but all I could do was lay there.

"I am Groot?"

My heart rate and mind calmed as I felt myself getting picked up and held on my feet. A sharp pain in my neck shot my eyes open, but I was able to move and see again, thankfully. Groot had his upper body slightly tilted as he looked down at me, clearly trying to tell if I was okay. I was able to straighten myself up, and I was about to reassure him, when I remembered that we were still missing one of us.

"Drax!"

I looked around, hoping to spot him tossed in a corner somewhere, or maybe shambling over in our direction. Thankfully, Groot had a much higher vantage point than I did, and he seemed to spot him. He lumbered his way over to a pool of spinal fluid and made his arms grow to reach deep down into it, and pulled out an unconscious Drax.