Chapter 1: Return to Abas

A gun was in my hands, pointed at a family. The room was cold. A little girl, probably only about five was crying in front of the other two. A man and a woman, her parents. I had to shoot them. I didn't know why but I just had to. My finger wrapped around the trigger and I felt a tear roll down my cheek, lacking warmth like everything else in the room. The little girl wailed and clutched at her mother's coat. The lady pushed her hair out of the way and kissed the top of her daughter's head. The man looked at me. He had a thin goatee and bright blue eyes. A lab coat was wrapped around his torso. "It's okay Danny...you have to kill us. We understand." Then, his eyes rolled over and the bright blue pupils turned white, the rest of the eye darkening. Scars appeared on the man's face. His humanity disappeared before me. He pried himself off his family and began rushing at me. His white lab coat quickly turned black and shredded itself as he ran at me. He was gaining speed. I had to shoot him. Six feet away. Five. Four. His daughter yelled behind him. Three. Two. One. I pulled the trigger.

I woke up, sweat caking my body. Gasps escaped my throat. I was in my bed. The one at Jackson and I's apartment. I glanced at the alarm clock on my nightstand.

5:13 AM

There was nothing to be afraid of. Quite the opposite actually. Today was the day. Jackson and I were going back to the school. I was going to see everyone again. I was going to see Becka again. I hoisted myself off the bed and walked into the hallway. I poked my head into Jackson's room. He was gone, probably out for his usual morning run. The apartment was small but it got the job done, we paid next to nothing for our rent and had plenty of money left over for groceries and things. Jackson had snagged a job at the local CD store and I worked at a small pretzel kiosk in the mall.

I ripped my clothes off as I walked into our bathroom. I stepped into the shower. The warm droplets pounded theirselves agaianst my body. The dreams had been happening since after Jager's final battle. Sometimes it was awful thoughts about his family. Other times it was Jager's scarred face, yelling for what felt like hours upon end. Countless nights I'd been awoken by Jackson, revealing that it was me who was screaming until my throat bled.

It wasn't the easiest year but the Skype calls at nights were what kept me going. Jackson and I would talk all night with Nicolas, Hope, Lauren, Delilah, Becka, Angel and Vanessa and even the Headmaster.

I finished up and jumped out of the shower, excited as hell. I grabbed the towel and began drying myself, singing Welcome To The Black Parade by My Chemical Romance.

"Shut the fuck up!" Came from outside the door, proving that Jackson was home. Another day I would've given a response just as vile but today I just laughed. After brushing my teeth and running a comb through my mess of a hair, I practically skipped into my room. I pulled on a pair of jeans and a gray t-shirt that read Bobby's Pretzels! The saltiest you can get! 

A perk of the job. The shirt had just the right bit of sexual innuendo to get me a laugh from Jackson. He sat at our "kitchen" (really just a small room with a table and a fridge) sipping from a Doctor Who mug.

"Any coffee left?" I asked, not bothering to hide the huge grin on my face. The same grin sat on Jackson's.

"Yeah, there's some in the pot." He was wearing a Black Sabbath t-shirt and his trademark hipster glasses. "Dude, I can't wait..."

He smiled. Our "furniture" was going to be moved out after we left for Abas in about an hour. I had already quit my job, practically flipping over the kiosk on the way out.

I nodded at him and poured the remaining coffee into a mug. I let the bitter taste fill my mouth and waited for the caffeine to push away the lingering thoughts of the dream.