Chapter Four

Cruising through the streets of California was kind of lonesome. I saw families and groups of friends litter the sidewalks. Not much about Malibu had changed. There were still the overly tanned girls wandering the streets in bikinis, guys thinking they were badass in their shorts—they usually weren't— and of course tourists. Tourists were the worst. They were too damn slow.

I stopped at a red light and took the opportunity to play with my iPod, finding the perfect song to fit my mood. When my light turned green, I couldn't go because two tourists decided to piss me off. A woman and her husband, wearing fanny packs, of all things, walked across the street right when the light changed. They were too busy looking at street signs, a tablet, and turning around to survey the area to notice they were in my way. I honked at them so they'd move faster and they sneered at me, standing there like it was the X on their map.

It took all my strength to not get out of my car and show them how much of a bitch I could be. My tight grip on the steering wheel turned my knuckles white. Finally they continued across the crosswalk. They made me miss the green light. I cursed at them under my breath. When the light turned green again, I floored it. I wasn't waiting for anyone else.

To ease my mind, I visited the record store I always went to while in California. It had the best variety of music from all types of genres and decades. After buying two new CDs, I went to the ice cream place next door and ordered my favorite. No matter what kind of day I was having, Snickers ice cream could make me happy again.

My phone buzzed by my head. I was having a good dream about being front row at an Emilie Autumn concert. The call had better be important or I was going to have someone's head.

I looked at my alarm clock. It was one in the morning. Who was calling me so late? Usually I was doing the calling around this time, not the other way around.

"Hello?"

"Sydney, can you come get Amelia?" a male voice asked.

"Who is this and what did you do with her?" My voice dripped with anger. No going back to dreamland now.

"This is Hunter. Amelia is fine, honest. She just needs to go home."

I rubbed the sleep from my eyes. "Why can't she stay with you?"

"I'm at a friend's house and they don't want anyone staying after dawn."

"Why can't you drop her off here?"

"You ask too many questions. She's higher than a kite. I didn't know she never smoked weed before."

I smacked myself on the forehead. I should've stayed with her. What was wrong with me? Leaving her with strangers...what a horrible friend I was.

To calm myself, I pinched the bridge of my nose. "Fine. What's the address?"

He told me and I hung up before I could say something I'd regret.

Why in heaven's name did Amelia end up there? I knew why. She wanted to be like me. Should I treat her as if she's six and tell her to do as I say, not as I do?

I was going to pick her up in my PJs, but thought it would've been embarrassing if I had to get out of the car and help her outside. There was no way to know how many people were still at that party and I didn't want them to see my puppy print nightgown. I changed into some blue jeans and slipped on a bra and black shirt. A yawn escaped from me as I stepped into a pair of flip-flops.

It was time to fetch my friend.

Turning onto the street Hunter told me to, I found the house easily. It was the only one all lit up and had people coming in and out of it like foam from a rabid dog.