Chapter 19

--Anne's POV--

I wake up the next morning and thankfully it's Saturday. I decide to do what imaginary-Gilbert told me to do, which was to go and visit him. 

"Marilla," I say as I walk down the stairs. She looks at me, and she begins to laugh. 

"What happened?" I ask. She continues to laugh and points to the mirror located near the front door. I look and my hair looks like a beehive and my eyes are half closed, not to mention the clearly visible bags underneath my eyes from the nights before. I take a comb out of the dresser near the mirror and fix my orange mane. 

I turn and thankfully Marilla isn't laughing anymore instead, she looks really calm as she makes some scrambled eggs. I haven't seen Marilla so peaceful like this in a very long time, so I decide to head back upstairs. I go to my room and change from my comfortable pyjamas into casual everyday clothes. I call Cole.

"Hello?" Cole says. He sounds like he just woke up.

"Dude, its 10 am. Are you still sleeping?" I ask. 

He yawns, "No no, I'm awake. What's up?"

"Well I want to go visit Gilbert in the hospital so can you drive me there?" I ask.

"Sorry I can't today. But there's a train that travels from the center of the town square to the street in front of the hospital. The stop is called Blueeye." he responds.

"Thanks, Cole," I say.

"Anytime," he replies and hangs up the phone. I assume he fell back asleep.

I brush my hair and apply only a bit of makeup. I grab my backpack, phone, headphones, and jacket, and head downstairs to the front door. 

"Where are you going?" Marilla asks.

"I'm going to visit Gilbert in the hospital," I reply. She nods her head and I run out of the house and walk towards the town square. 

I reach the town square and see a train coming towards the train station. Someone yells, "All aboard, to stop Blueeye!"

I run onto the train, pay for my ticket, and find a seat near the window. I plug in my headphones and scroll through my playlist until I find a song I like. After I do, I look out the window and watch the trees and buildings swish past us in the blink of an eye. 

After about an hour, we reach the hospital. I get off the train and walk into the hospital lobby. I walk up to the receptionist.

"Hi, I'm looking for Gilbert Blythe," I say quietly.

"You'll have to wait for a few minutes, so take a seat," she replies and looks back at her computer. I sit down and continue listening to music. Then I feel a tap on my shoulder. I pause my music and see it's Charlie Sloane. 

"Hi," he says.

"Hey," I reply as I remove my headphones.

"Who are you here for?" he asks. I look at him and he looks kind of happy to see me as if he's been bored out of his mind.

"Gilbert," I reply. 

"Right. About that night, can you please tell Diana that I'm sorry?" he asks, I can tell his emotion changed when he said Diana's name, "She won't speak to me after what happened, even though I told her that I wasn't controlling myself. She won't buy any of it, and I-" 

He pauses, "I miss her. A lot." 

I look at him and I can't decide if he's safe for Diana. I mean, he did almost take off her shirt while she was crying. But also, it was Billy who spiked his drink really badly. Hmm...

"I'll see what I can do," I say. He exhales in relief and hugs me. 

"Visitor for Gilbert Blythe," the lady at the table announces. I release Charlie, "I'll see you." 

He nods his head and I walk towards Gilbert's room. I walk in and everything looks the exact same, flowers displayed on the tables, the same heartbeat, and there he is. Just lying there.. helpless. I feel tears forming but I refuse to let them fall.

I take a seat next to his bed and I look at him. He still has no emotion on his face, but I feel like he is still talking to me through the dream.

"Hi, Gilbert. It's me, Anne. I've had a rough few days drowning myself in my own self-guilt for your state right now. It's all my fault that you are lying here, not talking, not waking up from this sick spell that I casted on you.. without me even realizing. I just wanted to say thank you. Thank you for always being so kind and accepting for who I am, even when I wouldn't take your compliments seriously. I definitely have grown from the moment that I met you up until now. I wish that you weren't the one who had to pay for my mistakes, it should be me. I should be the one who should be in a coma, not knowing if I will wake up. The pain that I have been feeling... its," the tears begin to fall faster than ever, " it's been difficult getting myself to wake up and act like everything is normal. But it's not... not without you."

Finally, the tears turn into sobs. I sit in the hospital chair, holding his hand and just crying. I have said enough for today. I gently place my head on his chest and I lay there, allowing the tears to flow.

"I miss you, Gilbert," I say softly.

~~~~
Hey, sorry for such a sad ending for this chapter. Let me know any feedback that you have for this book because I will gladly incorporate it into my writing. Also, thank you all for over 800 reads, like WHAT!!! thats absolutely insane and I love you all!

K byeeeee <3