14

At seven-thirty pm, I exit my room carrying a flashlight, a pack of chewing gum and my new burgundy sweater, leaving behind my overdue assignments and math worksheets.

"I'm going out," I holler to my brother while shrugging on my thick sweater. He's probably in his room doing something with his friends he brought over after school.

No one replies, so I let myself out. Even though it's early May, the breeze is still chilly, much to my distaste. I love warm weather and the heat. Summer is my favourite season. Don't get me wrong, I love winter's beauty and all, it's spring and fall that I loathe because of the bipolar weather.

While walking down the road, it seems as though it may rain soon. I really hope Luke plans on taking our meet-up inside or wrapping it up quickly, or else we could get caught in it. A light breeze swirls around me, whipping my long hair around my face. It's quite annoying having it such a length but I'm too cowardly to cut it shorter.

I reach the same useless crosswalk I crossed two weeks ago with Luke on our way to his house (which is just visible down the street if I stand on my tiptoes) for the first time since. Or at least I think it was two weeks ago. Time is hard to keep track of this time of year, I find, what with schoolwork and friends and days where I do absolutely nothing. And also the fact that Luke makes every day feel the same.

While waiting for the light to turn I notice Cedar Arbor, which is visible through the thinning of trees across the road. It's void looking.

One car drives by before I'm allowed to cross.

My journey through the undergrowth is short and easy, although my jeans do get snagged a couple times on stray plants or branches. In no time at all my sneakers set foot on the soft dirt expanse that is Cedar Arbor, which looks rather eerie, I remark as soon as I look around. Weeds have popped up at random intervals throughout the old-fashioned road, and add a deserted feel to the spot. If you look hard enough you can still see the foundations of the old houses that used to stand along the road.

Goosebumps erupt on my arms even though they're covered.

Broad Crest crosses Cedar down a ways on my right. I start the short walk with a heavy sigh, wondering why the hell Luke wants to meet me here. Everything feels darker than on the main drag. That flashlight sounds like a good idea right about now. I extract it out of the back pocket of my jeans in a hurry to flick it on and chase away the unknown.

Now that I'm here, I really don't want to be. This place creeps me out. Why does Luke even want to meet here? Is this where he's been hiding these past few days?

I almost scream when I notice that the corner isn't deserted like the rest of the street. And it's lucky that I don't because that would startle the neighbours.

Luke stands from his spot in the dirt as I approach, smiling warmly, despite the fact that everything surrounding us is dreary. The mere gesture brightens my whole evening. He's not dressed for weather, only wearing a graphic t-shirt for cover from the chill wind, and it makes me wonder how a boy who just freshly moved from the hottest environment can stand this cold air. Other than the fading bags beneath his eyes, he looks fine.

Both Luke and myself look surprised by the first sentence out of my mouth.

"Where've you been these past few days?"

By now I have reached him and stop walking. I study his face, searching for any new or different emotions behind his eyes that are incredibly light, but impassive.

"Well, the first day I was sick," he admits, keeping eye contact with me and taking one step closer. "The second day I was thinking," he says, his voice low.