Chapter Four

ARRIVING IN AURADON was nothing like Gemma imagined it would be: it was worse. Petty princesses and snobby princes lining the road, smiling widely and holding welcome signs as high as can be when they quite obviously had different feelings; a colorfully dressed marching band loudly playing an obnoxious tune; the school, itself, looking more regal and fanciful than ever, as if to say, You don't belong here.

That same thought kept nagging at the back of Gemma's head as they pulled up in front of the school: You don't belong here, You don't belong here, You don't belong here. She didn't know why, but she was suddenly a bit sadden by the realization that, no matter what, neither she nor her daughter would ever be truly accepted into Auradon. After all, she was the daughter of a ruthless villian, making Addy the granddaughter of one.

Snap out of it, you idiot, Gemma thought, mentally scolding herself. It doesn't matter what these morons think; we'll be out here before they can say 'bibbidi-bobbidi-boo!'

"Oh! Ah! Ow! Stop!" Gemma whipped her head to the side, having been so caught up with her thoughts that she didn't even realize that the limo had come to a full stop, or that the driver had opened the door. Carlos and Jay had practically rolled out and were currently fighting over what appeared to be a blue cloth of sorts.

"You got everything else! Why do you want whatever this is?" Carlos asked as he desperately tried to hold onto the cloth that Jay was oh-so-determined to have.

"'Cause you want it!" Jay replied stubbornly.

As the boys continued to argue, Mal and Evie stepped out of the limo and walked around them. Noticing that Gemma was having a bit of trouble trying to get out with Addy still in her arms, Evie offered her a hand, which she gladly took. As soon as they saw Addy, many people around them gasped and began to whisper quietly among themselves. Gemma rolled her eyes, but was otherwise unfazed. She was used to this sort of thing by now.

"Guys, guys, guys! We have an audience," Mal said to the boys through gritted teeth. Seeing that they were not quite getting it, Gemma gestured to the three important-looking people slowly approaching them.

"Just, uh, cleaning up," Jay said to the three, a fake grin plastered on his face. He hurriedly pulled Carlos up off the ground, and the small boy almost lost his footing from the sudden motion. Thankfully, Gemma saw and quickly reached out to steady him with one arm, the other holding Addy, who was resting comfortably on her hip. He sent her a grateful look, before a short, pudgy brunette wearing a light blue dress with a pink bow began to speak.

"Leave it like you found it!" She said in a cheery voice, quickly adding, "And by that, I mean just leave it."

The two boys tossed the several items they grabbed back into the car before shutting the door and turning back around. Jay, however, noticed a fairly attractive teenage girl behind the woman and, grinning flirtatiously, swaggered over to her.

"Hello, foxy," he said, eyeing the girl up and down. "The name's," he paused in an effort to seem suave, "Jay."

The girl, obviously uncomfortable, pity laughed just as the woman cut in. "Welcome to Auradon Prep." Jay, not used to being rejected, frowned. "I'm fairy godmother, headmistress."

Mal, now intrigued, spoke up. "The fairy godmother? As in, 'Bibbidi-bobiddi-boo'?"

"Bibbidi-bobiddi--you know it!" Fairy Godmother answered with a pearly white smile that Gemma bet sparkled just as much, if not more than, the magic wand.

"Yeah, I always wondered what it felt like for Cinderella when you just appeared, out of nowhere, with that sparkly wand and warm smile," Mal went on, lying right through her teeth. "...And that sparkling wand."