Dread

"Hey, are you okay?" Emma, my best friend, put her hand on my shoulder concernedly. I bit my lips. Wesley's been avoiding me. He hasn't replied to my texts and he hasn't returning home for a week. I've been sleepless since then. George was calling tons of his connections. Mom was following George all around the house, offering him coffee or assistance.

Mom married George, my step-father three years ago, a year after Dad died. I remember how Mom mourned my father. How she struggle to keep fighting the loneliness for me until she met George and build a new life for her and me. Me, who doesn't deserved her love, me who betrayed her the moment I fell in love with Wesley, my step-brother.

Wesley who never contacted me again after he promised me he will find a way to fight for our secret love. And I'm scared that he will just give up on me and Mom finds out and she will go through the same heartache when Dad died, that George will be disappointed on me, that I'm not strong enough to hold on and fight. But I knew deep inside me, I never regretted that I fell in love. Because I found myself again, I have someone to hold me, support and fight with me even if I just wanted to close the door and never come out again.

I jumped when someone tap my back. "Are you really okay, Marga? You've been like that for days. What happened?"

I shook my head. I don't want to acknowledge this fear. No. Wesley won't leave me in the dark.

Hi. It's me... I'm in Emma's. Ahm, just thought you should know. Take care. I love you.

I was awoken by the sudden ting of my phone. It was Margaret. I sigh. I have been drinking, sleeping & drinking again. I didn't go home since that fateful day Dad talked to me. I ran my fingers on my hair. Then I clenched my fist, my index finger and thumb on the bridge of my nose. My head's aching.

Margaret.

Dad's been bugging the heck out of me. He's been demanding to come back home, acting as if he's concerned. But I knew better. He only wants me for his own benefits. His business is in the verge of falling down. And he wants me to take over his company. But I don't want to hold some paper on a four corner room and bore the heck out of me. I want to hold a gear, the adrenaline rush, the fear and the anticipation, the people's shouts; it brings me to life, it makes me feel important. But one day I met Margaret. A person who needs support most, a person whom made me care less whether Dad's saw me, because she sees me. Really saw me.

My brows met as I started to pace.

My mind's drifting, to the only memories I cherished the most.

"Hi Margaret." The woman raised her brows upward, staring at me shrewdly. "And who would you be?" she said, displeased. I smirked. "Oh well, nice to meet you too, but I'm the new brother, Wesley, the hot racer & the living epitome of sexiness." I smiled, she scowled. "Whatever. I don't have a brother and I don't want one." "Well, good luck to that. Just wondering, what would be poor Aunt Maggie tell if she hears her beloved daughter won't accept her new sexy of a brother? I bet that would break her fragile heart now that she established a new perfect family. Sweet." She sneered, nose wrinkled. Cute. My smile widened.

---

"I told you, Dad, I didn't even touched her─"

"Enough is enough Wesley! Mr. Ainsley's daughter complained you've crashed in their gates on Sunday at night and slept with her daughter. You know I can't afford to lose a face son. What would be my business partners' say─?"

"Right, coz I don't freaking care─"

"Language, Wesley! I never taught you to talk like that. You really follow your mother's foot!"

I clenched my fist. "Yes, but at least, Mom never try to make me marry some woman I haven't even met."

"You─"

"George?" suddenly came in Margaret's voice. She was clutching hard on her dress, biting her lips that I could make out the red tint in it. What are you doin', do you want to die? I mouthed on her, confused. She just rolled her eyes on me stubbornly.

"What is it, sweetheart?" George smiled softly at her, just how he smiled at Maggie, just how he never ever did to me, or Mom.

"A-hm...Wes...Wesley, he's t-telling the truth." She cleared her voice. "Because I was in Mrs. Ainsley's house on Sunday eve...and...a-and she said she likes...ahm" she glances at me and then avoided my gaze. "...that she likes W-wesley. Ahm that's all. Ahm, good night, everyone." She stammered and hastily left to go upstairs.

"Thank you." I said. "For what?" she didn't even glances up in me. I was in her room door. She's sitting on her bed, reading some book. "For tonight." "Whatever, I still don't like you as a brother." "I don't even want you at least to be my sister. Not in a lifetime." She gasped. "What do you mean?" A smile creeps in my lips. "I like your pj's. It looks cute on you." She look down at her pajamas, she forgot she wears it again inside out. She laughs. And I joined her.

---

"Why are you avoiding me?" I demanded. "Because I can't do this anymore! I can't just pretend to be your sister without liking you! L-loving you." She turned her back, not before I saw her tears. "Did you think it was just you? Do you think I didn't fall in love with you too?" I shouted back. She turned her head slowly, her eyes glinting in guilty, sadness and fear. "Wesley...?"

My heart's pounding hard inside my chest as I as chased my breath and a decision struck hard.

I'll fight. Even if all my life I've been fighting to get Dad's attention, I need to fight harder because it's not just me. It's me and her. I'll fight for our forbidden love, so God help me.

I gathered all my things.