darling

we had been in the bunker for almost two or three years now. i've lost track of time. our rations were thinning, and gallant was more annoying than ever. at this point, you couldn't relax without him nagging you about your outfit, or his, saying things like, "if i tell you what i'd rate yours, would you rate mine?" it got the point where i would literally rather be eaten by scavengers than have to listen to him. sometimes coco would tell him to "shut up," or dinah would shoulder him out of the way, but he was never phased.

see, but, i only had to put up with gallants complaints for a short matter of time, because a man named langdon, of the cooperative, arrived to our outpost, unannounced. he claimed that only a few of us would be left to die, that he would be taking some of the "worthier" ones to a safer haven. but he made sure of us being questioned beforehand, which wasn't the slightest bit nerve-racking. conveniently, like he had sensed my fear, i was asked to questioning first. he had a loud, confident voice, but at the same time it was warm, welcoming, almost. i had heard it before.

"so, tell me, ambrose. what scares you?" he asked, his arms crossed, hands lined with rings. i hesitated. "remember, i can tell if you're lying to me or not." my eyebrows raised and i cocked my head, but shook it off before he could detect anything. "erm... i guess this world. what it's came to? if that makes any sense?" langdon nodded, sympathy flashing in his eyes. "you know what that's called? it's called anthrophobia. you're scared of humanity, and trust me, you have every right to be, darling." darling? oh god. i shook my head, "no, i didn't know that, sir. thank you." langdon grinned his twisted grin, his blue eyes scanning my figure. "only here." he whispered. "i'm sorry?" i echoed, confused. i was very confused. "only in here, ambrose, can you call me by michael. nowhere else, alright?" he whispered under his breathe, almost to quiet for me to hear. "yes, yes sir." i nodded quickly. langdon- or michael, pushed himself against his chair, his harrowing blue eyes meeting mine. suddenly, though, he stood up, approaching me. crouching, slightly shorter than me now, he traced his fingers down the outer side of my arm. "show me your scars." i pulled back instantly. "ex- excuse me?" he stared plainly at me. "you heard me." nervously i flipped my arm over, his evil smirk plastered on his face, again. slowly he ran his fingers down the scars, hitting one that made me wince. "recent." i heard him murmur. i think, think, i could detect anger, and worry in his voice. "thank you, ms. shepherd. you should go now." i jerked my arm away from him. "yes sir." i breathed, quickly escaping. though i still felt his burning gaze on my back.