Dear Miss Sophia Gibson

Dear Nathaniel,

It feels as though years have past since I saw you last. In reality I suppose it's only been a month or so. How are you faring? As well as possible, I hope?

Julia stopped by today, which must seem very trivial to you, I know. But you'll need trivial things to think about over there. Anyway, she helped me make these preserves for you- strawberry. Catherine has an abundance of them, gives them out to us who's men are away. Don't worry, I didn't use all of them on you. I'm not that selfless, and I don't ever intend to be.

Sophia Gibson

Dear Miss Sophia Gibson,

I assure you these months have not yet amounted to years, though with your impatience it wouldn't surprise me that it seems so. You should really work on that. Or not.

I'm glad your friends are so helpful, you'd probably starve to death on your own.

Oh lord, I can hear your protests now. I'm gonna guess false, irrelevant, trivial, and no I won't buy you a dog.

So how much of the works with the preserves did you force on Julia? You did suspiciously well.

Selfless? Of course! I could never marry a selfless person, I need someone of lower standards than myself to raise my self-esteem. I knew you were perfect for the job the job moment you swore Autria was short for Australia.

I'm okay,

Nathaniel Gibson

Dear Nathaniel,

Oh yes, I'm terribly sorry not to have your prestigious levels of education- third grade was a hard one for all of us. May as well burn my high school diploma, I suppose.

Phooey, I don't need your permission to get a dog. I may just buy one today and you would never know. Cornelia's mutt's have a litter in a month or so as well...

On a nicer note, there's been a man handing out novels for a nickel- I may or may not have filled a shelf. It was a small shelf.

Sophia Gibson

Dear Miss Sophia Gibson,

I'm afraid we have vastly different definitions of the word small, my dear. Think you could spare one, or do I have to come pry one from you?

No dogs. I don't want to come home to find two creatures starved to death. Cornelia can keep her mutts. They're about as useful as that diploma of yours. Though I imagine I couldn't get rid of it without you giving it a legitimate funeral. Nuts, you are.

I'm okay,

Nathaniel Gibson

Dear Nathaniel,

Enclosed is a copy of "The Three Musketeers". It's lengthy and above your literary level, so it should entertain you for a while. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did- especially Portia. He was my favorite.

Merry Early Christmas,

Sophia Gibson

Dear Miss Sophia Gibson,

You know I love you, right?

I'm okay,

Nathaniel Gibson

Dear Nathaniel,

I know.

Sophia Gibson

Dear Miss Sophia Gibson,

I've witnessed the most amazing of things- today, on the eve of Christmas Day, drenched to the bone with cold, there was silence- the good kind. From enemy lines we could hear the singing of O'Tannenbaum, and from our own side the same. A cease fire. I'd have to say at that moment it was even more beautiful than you, my pistol, but still it remains the only earthly entity to claim that title.

P.S. I was thing when I got back I could buy us a farm. Opinions? Also, the book is wonderful. You were right, Portia is quite dynamic.

I'm okay,

Nathaniel Gibson

Dear Nathaniel,

I certainly hope that that isn't the only thing for that title- rather depressing for you, I should think.

A farm? That sounds like something to discuss face to face, but I'm not opposed to the idea. We'll see.

In regards to Portia: isn't he? Though I much prefer your company. I'll have it again soon, won't I?

Sophia Gibson

Dear Miss Sophia Gibson,

Promise

-

June 22nd, 1945

All to wife, Miss Sophia Gibson, as she gave all to me. Tell her I'm okay.

Nathaniel Gibson