1

3132 Carlson Blvd.

El Cerrito, California

1984

The rock scene that had been thriving was hair metal, hair-sprayed little boys with makeup and tight pants. It was barely metal if you ask any real musician, but nevertheless, it dominated. Metallica almost ended up there, wearing leggings and cowboy boots, but fortunately, they made a better choice. Mr. Cliff Burton wasn't into phony bullshit, and if they wanted him in their band, they'd have to come to San Francisco. If they wanted him in their band, he wasn't going to change his clothes or get a new car. It probably would have been smart, that old station wagon was bound to die any day now. Cliff was the best bassist for miles, so James, Lars, and Dave listened, and a new kind of music was born.

They started recording their first album in Rochester, New York. Problems arose quickly, and although they were close, Dave had to go. That was a whole situation, but Kirk Hammett of the band Exodus was now a part of Metallica.

Kill Em' All gave the boys their first taste of success, and after a few months of touring, they were ready to go home.

They called it the Metalli-mansion. The house was the farthest thing from a mansion, but it was sufficient for four boys with a band. This is where we are today.