Interview with Action/Adventure Winner

Theelementalarchive

1.What is the first book that made you cry?
I'm not much of a crier at books but Opal Plumstead by Jacqueline Wilson had me dangerously close to opening the floodgates when I was about twelve.

2.Does writing energize or exhaust you?
It depends on the day. Sometimes I can't be bothered and other days I could spend all day writing non-stop.

3.What is your writing Kryptonite?
Worry what people think and procrastination. If it was an Olympic sport I'd win gold.

4.Have you ever gotten reader's block?
Not too often but I do sometimes have moments of "Why am I reading this?"

5.Did you ever consider writing under a pseudonym?
Nah. I can get why people to it but I like seeing my name on my work. Makes it feel a bit more special.

6.Do you try more to be original or to deliver to readers what they want?
Being unique is all I really want in life. You can't please eveyone.

7.Do you think someone could be a writer if they don't feel emotions strongly?
Anyone can write, but being passionate and emotional is what makes good books stand out.

8.Do you want each book to stand on its own, or are you trying to build a body of work with connections between each book?
 I have created at least three universes that all of my stories exist in. And all of them are connected in some way shape or form...I have a problem.

9.If you could tell your younger writing self anything, what would it be?
Don't suppress your imagination, it makes you you. And accept the fact that you're weird because that isnt going to change.

10.How did publishing your first book change your process of writing?
It's definitely more refined than it used to be. It's amazing how much difference a year makes.

11.Do you base your characters in people you know?
Not people I know personally, it's more TV and movie characters or they have traits I want to have, like I want to be as smart as Sheira, as witty as Nich, as cool as Shadow. I live vicariously through my characters basically.

12.How many unpublished and half-finished books do you have?
Oh god, I need to think about this. Well the book I'm working on right now is going to be a seven part series and on top of that all the other stories knocking around in my head or in hundreds of notebooks could easily be over fifty. Maybe even a hundred. Dear Lord thats scary.

13.What kind of research do you do, and how long do you spend researching before beginning a book?
I don't do much research before, it's mainly halfway through or when someone points it out to me which I'm very thankful for.

14.What's the most difficult thing about writing characters from the opposite sex?
 I don't have a problem with it, in fact the majority of the main characters are male. Don't know why, they just turn out that way.

15.How many hours a day do you write?
I'm still at college (In England that is) so I don't get much time but I do try to write for at least half an hour every morning or I feel guilty.

16.How do you select the names of your characters?
Baby naming websites or whatever pops into my head.

17.If you didn't write, what would you do?
Have a social life. I'm joking, I'm a massive introvert and nerd so I'd probably be drawing, taking photographs, playing Pokemon or watching Marvel movies/Netflix/Youtube.

18.Do you read your book reviews? How do you deal with bad or good ones?
 I don't really do reviews but when I do I try to take on the constructive criticism and try to make it better. Unless it's criticism basically saying that they just don't like the book, that I can do nothing about. If you don't like it dont keep reading, you know?

19.What was your hardest scene to write?
Nick's first fight with Shadow. I knew nothing about fight scenes and I very nearly didn't publish it because I thought it was rubbish, but I turned out okay in the end.

20.Do you Google yourself?
Ha! Nothing would come up for me.

21.What one thing would you give up to become a better writer?
Sleep, I always get the best ideas before I go to bed.

22.What is your favorite childhood book?
Matilda by Roald Dahl. I could still read it over and over without getting bored.

23.How long on average does it take you to write a book?
Well I've only been going since January and I've done 20 chapters and I'm about halfway done, so yeah. It's going to take a while.

24.Do you believe in writer's block?

Ugh it's the worst, and it's always when you get to an important bit.