ONE - Bitch

CHAPTER 1

Los Angeles, California

The sharp sound of my alarm cut into my dreams that morning. I groaned and rolled over, tugging at the sheets to pull over my head.

My first morning in LA. I sat up and rubbed my eyes, the warm sunlight streaming through the gap in the curtains. I hopped out of bed and opened the blinds.

It was good to see this much greenery, unlike the concrete jungle of New York.

When I had fully woken up I was the most excited I had been in a long time - I had been given a chance to start over.

Re-create myself.

And I could be whoever I wanted.

***

I beamed at my reflection in the mirror and twirled in my grey pleated skirt. I held my ponytail, combed it through for the tenth time and tied a black ribbon in a perfect bow. I fastened the last button on my crisp white blouse and peered down at my shiny new ballet flats and un-laddered stockings.

My first morning in LA was also my first day of school - and for once I was pleased with my appearance.

Mum walked past the room whistling a tune. She stopped dead at the sight of me.

"Um, honey? You do know your school is free dress, right?" she said, looking me up and down with her eyebrows perched.

I looked at her and laughed, "Mum, I know that, but c'mon! What school doesn't have some kind of dress code?" I looked back in the mirror, "Besides, I want to make a good first impression. People will see me as...as a-"

"Business woman?" Mum joked.

I rolled my eyes and applied a coat of clear gloss to my lips. Smacking them together I scooped up my bag and walked down the stairs.

On my way to the bus stop I couldn't help but smile. And I smiled even more when I checked my phone to see that Scott had left a message late last night.

I took a seat on the bus and flicked my phone open and listened to it.

Hey babe. Hope your flight goes okay. Miss you already! Well call me when you get this. Bet LA isn't as nice as New York. You'll be crawling back to the airport before you know it. Anyway, see you when you get back babe...bye.

I was about to return his call when I saw some girls walking my way, staring at me.

This was it.

A Good first impression.