On the 20th of November: Carmela Smiled

On the 20th of November 1994, little Bobby decided to go up to the rooftop of the flat their staying in. It was exactly 12:00 midnight. It was his 5th birthday and it was also his first anniversary being with his old grandma who has a knack of treating him roughly. She always thought that Bobby was nothing but a pest who only knew how to gobble on all of her carefully baked pastries. But even though they never wanted the company of each other, they were left with no choice. Bobby’s parents died in a car crash when he was only 4 years old. Since then, every night he would look outside his window and mesmerize himself by the beauty of the stars above. Then on that day, little did he know, up in that dirty rooftop, will he see something that will change his life forever.

            On that night, he stared carefully up at the sky. He noticed a star shining more brightly than the others. Then suddenly, it fell right on to their rooftop. The star was a man. The man wore a black cloak and a black hat whose skin was as pale as the moon.

“Wow!” Bobby said. “Are you a superhero?”

“No, I am no hero.” The man said without an expression on his face.

“Then what are you? What’s your name?”

“Your kind calls me many names; Yahweh, Zeus, Brahma, Ra, Odin, but my real name is Yvanzer. My story isn’t important, but yours is. So tell me, child, your story.”

            Bobby smiled and gladly agreed for it was the first time someone bothered asking him his feelings. Then since that day, Yvanzer would always go back to that rooftop every November 20th and leave the following day. He would always ask Bobby to tell him his stories and he would also sometimes show some of his powers to him. It had been like that for the past 13 years.

            It was 12 midnight. Yvanzer was sitting at the edge of the rooftop, waiting for Bobby. Few minutes passed, Bobby came with some snacks and a couple of superhero comic books. Little Bobby grew up to become a fat comic book nerd who kept Yvanzer’s existence in secrecy to others. They became close to each other.

“Sorry if I’m late, Ivan, been a while searching for these comic books.”

“That’s alright.” Yvanzer calmly replied. “Say, is it that you’re too old to be still reading those books? Do you have your ‘girlfriend’ now?”

“Too old for these books? Are you insane! Once you’ve read these you’ll never want to stop. Girlfriend? Nah...”

“Why not? Don’t they like you? You promised me you’ll have one this year. You’re already 18.”

“I don’t know?” Bobby said, sitting beside Yvanzer while opening some tacos. “Chicks don’t dig fat people.”

“Why?”

“Because humans always stereotype others.”

“I see.”

            Bobby stared at Yvanzer’s soulless face staring up at the moon. He took a deep breath and carefully asked him.

“How about you, man? Ever had a girlfriend before?”

“No.” Yvanzer answered. “I told you, I don’t have emotions and I can’t feel. I don’t love like you humans do.”

“So what did you have?”

“I’ve told you, my story isn’t important.”

“Come on, man. It’s been like 13 years now and I barely know you? I’m the one always talking, how about you try it for once? Every man’s tale is important.”