A Raven's Song

A/N Thats Tatum Della Torre  <<< ^^^^ >>> (where ever it is)

"Tatum?" My Alpha yells, looking at me strangely, I give her a smile.

"I'm fine aunt Christine." I say lightly looking at the crowd of people preparing for tomorrow.

Everyone is moving around at the speed of light trying to get everything done, I laugh to myself and shake my head. This matters so much to everyone, I really don't see why.

Yes he is our king, but isn't his job to protect us? They're acting like he'll kill them if the decor is too far to the left. Today means a lot to everyone, they are all trying to make it perfect, hoping that the decor somehow has anything to do with who he favours.

"I'm going for a walk Christine..." I say quietly, not waiting for a response I walk off of the porch and to the forest.

Though I don't shift. I just walk on the path in human form, focusing on my surroundings.

I walk off the path, to a meadow a few yards away. This has always been the place I would go if I needed to get away, there was a log sitting in the middle of the field, I loved to sit on it and watch the world go by.

Sitting on the old log I think about what could happen tomorrow.

The Alpha King has been meeting with all of the packs, a tradition that happens every ten years.

Our king is rumoured to be a monstrous man, not even a man really, just a monster. He was gifted with immortality by the moon goddess, as she believed that no one else would be fit to rule over the lycanthropy. But as the legend goes, after the supernatural war against the Vampires, Warlocks and witches, demons and Fae, he had done something that caused her to curse him... with the worst curse imaginable... she took away his mate.

Twelve thousand years alone, never meeting the person with the other half of his soul...

We think...

All of that is just a legend after all, no one really knows what had happened. But one of the elders on the council at the time, had said that was what the moon goddess had done, and we don't really have any reason not to believe him.

I smile at my childish thoughts — thinking of bedtime stories — grabbing a flower growing from the log and start singing an old song.

"One for sorrow...

Two for mirth...

Three for a wedding...

Four for a birth...

Five for silver...

Six for gold...

Seven for a secret never to be told...

Eight for a kiss...

Nine for a wish...

And ten for a bird you must not miss..."

I hear shuffling coming from the tree line, looking up I don't see anything. I try focusing my senses, but whatever it was ran before I got any clues.

*                              *                              *

I was supposed to arrive tomorrow, but I wanted to evaluate the pack before they knew that I was there, so I could see what they were really like and not some act they put up trying to gain my favour.