Chapter 1

On the long list of insane and dangerous things that I've done, breaking and entering a building at two o'clock in the morning neared the top.

But I had to do it. This nearly abandoned building was home to many happy memories, and I couldn't let it go without saying goodbye first. Years ago, the building had been a popular summer camp known as Camp Hero. Since then the place had slowly been declining in registration, until the day it didn't have enough campers to be able to run.

I had called Mrs. Hahn, the owner of the camp, earlier today to ask if all the old pictures were still on the walls and everything. I was glad to hear that not a thing had been moved or taken down yet. The sale likely wouldn't go down until the beginning of next summer.

As I walked through the desolate hallways, I thought about one particular summer—the last summer I ever spent here. Those few months felt like a dream when I thought about them now.

I walked deeper into the building, my mind wrapped up in thought. I was so pensive that I didn't hear the footsteps coming up from behind me. I didn't notice a thing until I felt a hand grab my shoulder.

I whipped around and caught sight of a boy who looked about my age. I screamed as I stumbled over my own feet, and fell flat on my butt.

“How did you get in here?” The boy demanded, but didn’t attempt to help me up.

“Um, the front door was unlocked?” I lied. If this boy knew that I’d broken into here, I could get in serious trouble.

He rolled his eyes. “No it’s not. I tried the front door. I had to climb to the second floor to get inside. There’s a window up there that opens from the outside if you know how to do it.”

Phew, so he broke in too, I thought to myself. I figured there was no point in lying to him now.

“ I broke in through the front. I know how to pick locks.” I said, pulling out the lock picking kit from my back pocket.

He grinned and held out a hand to me. “Useful. Are you here to reminisce, too?”

I took his hand and stood up. “Yeah, I guess so.”

We stood there awkwardly for a moment without speaking as I put my kit back into my pocket. I decided to speak first.

“I'm Leah.” I said, sticking my hand out to the boy.

The boy froze. I could see the gears moving in his head, making a connection between my name and something I did not know. Suddenly his mouth fell open.

“Leah!” He exclaimed. “It’s me, Brent.”

I stared at him, unsure what to say. I didn't recognize his name and I wan't sure how to put that nicely. But the longer I stared at him, the more I was able to envision the face of a rowdy, stubborn seven year old kid. And then it clicked.

“No way! Dumbo?” I said, confounded.

Brent groaned. “Seriously, again with that nickname? I have a name for a reason you know.”

I laughed. Years ago, this kid’s ears had been way too big for his head. Now they appeared to be of normal size, but there was no way I was going to let go of the nickname I'd created. It was a stroke of genius.

When I finally managed to tone down my laughter I said, “I'm never going to stop using that nickname. Sorry.”

Brent rolled his eyes. “Yeah, yeah. So you heard about the building being sold, huh?”

I nodded. “I still can't believe it.”

“Yeah, it’s crazy.” He responded with a solemn expression. “Anyway, you wanna go walk around? Maybe we could visit our old bunks. Or the tree house.”