Chapter 2

When I opened my eyes a few hours later, I felt awful.

But I soon found out that thinking about Brent and a little REO Speedwagon was the perfect remedy. I put on "Can't Find This Feeling" as soon as I got out of bed. I had speakers in every one of the rooms I used rooms, and they were synced up to my phone. I sang along to the first part of the song, my voice getting louder with each line.

I can't fight this feeling any longer,

Yet I'm still afraid to let it flow.

What started out as friendship, has grown stronger.

I only wish I had the strength to let it show.

I hummed the next few lines as I went to put in my contacts. After that, I dug out my uniform and sang some more while I got changed.

Cause I can't fight this feeling anymore.

I've forgotten what I started fighting for.

And if I have to crawl upon the floor,

Come crashing through your door.

Baby, I can't fight this feeling anymore.

I distracted myself for a moment by thinking about what would happen if Brent came in through my balcony door and confessed his love. The thought made me laugh. How crazy would that be?

I belted the next few lines out, very loudly apparently, because I soon heard my mom shout, "Shut up, Leah! You're an awful singer."

"Sorry mom," I called back, feeling deflated. I thought I was pretty good.

I hummed the rest of the song as I worked on my hair and make up. I was downstairs eating breakfast in no time, and I suddenly started thinking about last night. Brent had given me his number. When would it be acceptable to text him? I didn't want to seem too eager, but it was hard to when I really was excited to talk to him more.

I'd have to ask my friends once they came to pick me up. I immediately started brewing up a pot of coffee when I made it to the kitchen. My mom couldn't function without the stuff. As I pulled out a chocolate chip muffin from the fridge, I could hear my mom coming down the stairs. Her light footsteps were the only ones I had to be attuned to now that my two older sisters had gone away to college.

"Coffee me." My mom said flatly.

I handed her a cup of liquid energy and waited patiently as she gulped down at least half of it before daring to ask her a question.

Well, here goes nothing.

"Mom, do you remember that summer camp I went to when I was little?" I asked casually before taking a bite out of my muffin.

She looked at me cautiously and then replied. "The one you got yourself kicked out from? It's hard to forget."

I got up to get some milk from the fridge. I also figured that putting some distance between my mom and I while I asked the next question would be a good idea.

"Well, do you remember that kid Brent who got kicked out also?"

Her hands tightened around the mug she held. "Yes." But she was unwilling to say any more.

I sighed and sat back down at the table. I took a gulp of milk before I spoke again. "He just moved back into town."

My mom's arm suddenly jerked, and she knocked the glass of milk right out of my hand. Milk spilled all over the table and I shot up quickly, successfully escaping the splash zone before I got soaked.