How to Sorority

Well now that you know all about my sex life and what I like to do for fun, I'm sure you picked up that I'm in a sorority. Which is true ya girl is a Strat Star, and don't you forget it.

So what's it like being in a sorority? It's literally the best thing I've done since I chose what school I wanted to go to at the end of my senior year in high school. However, I decided to go through recruitment Freshman year because I was an out of state student who was just the amount of awkward that I was unable to find my people. I took a bowling class first semester in hopes of finding some people to hang out with. And they were great we are all friendly still and follow each other on social media so like #legit. But I just felt like they weren't my forever people. So in mid-October the Panhellenic recruitment application came out and I jumped on it. My campus has close to 50,000 students on it with 25% of students being greek affiliated, so it seemed like a good way to find people. We have 22 out of the 26 Panhellenic sororities and average around 2,000 women going through every January who are also looking for the same thing. 

So January came around and I was heading back to school a week earlier than my peers to go through what people describe as one of the hardest 2 weeks of their lives. To make sure that we are able to see every chapter during the first few days so we can really begin is by going to 11 chapters a day for two days allowing us to meet all the women and begin thinking about where we feel like we will fit the best. At the end of day 2 we sit dow with our recruitment counselor, also known as a gamma chi or rho gamma, and rank the chapters that we visited. At this point all that matters is the list of chapters on the bottom, because if you aren't asked back to a chapter they will take from the bottom chapters in order. So if I only got asked back to my top 15 chapters they would grab the highest chapter on your bottom list. However I didn't have a "perfect" recruitment by any standards, after the first two days I only had 4 chapters on my list which sucked compared to all the other women on my floor who were being asked back to every chapter on their list and didn't have a break. When the second round came I went to all 4 of my chapters on one day and had the second day off. From there we ranked again and could go from 16 to 9, but I went from 4 to 3 as I was dropped from another chapter.  So, I went into sisterhood round with three chapters left and tried to stay the most positive I could but I was feeling a little down. Yet I showed up to all of my chapters and began to fall in love with one of them. Again we ranked 9 to 3, I kept all 3 going into preference round. So I threw on my little black dress and my sky high heels (even though I'm 5 foot 8 and was around 6 feet in the shoes), and off I went to the three chapters. Again we ranked that night in order of which we would accept a bid (I dropped the third chapter on my list knowing that I wouldn't fit in there or feel comfortable).

Then we wait, for two days you sit and wait until you find out what chapter you get...if you get one. So Tuesday night came around, in walked my rho gamma with bids galore (my whole floor got our first choice chapter). We were balling and running to busses to get to our new sisters and celebrate the fact that recruitment ended.