Chapter 3

Aria

"Hmm. The king said you'd be restrained."

I woke up so startled that I fell off my bed. I scrunched up my nose as moist dirt got all over me and tried to brush it off, but stopped when all it did was smear.

I looked up at the vampire standing above me who was wearing a smirk. He was pretty big, standing over 6 feet I would guess with his husky body. He was probably attractive before he was a vampire. He had styled brown hair and dressed nice, but his eyes were a terrifying red color, his skin was deathly pale, and he had scars peeking out of his blue v necks sleeves. He also had a nasty looking scar going down his cheek.

I flinched when he held his hand out, offering help up which I just made a face at. He dropped it and stepped back. "I'm supposed to escort you to a shower because you 'smell unappetizing'. The Kings' words, not mine."

A shower! I haven't had one of those in ages. I put a hand on the bed and slowly started getting up, not having the energy or strength to do it quickly. A cold hand wrapped around my forearm and supported me, and when I was fully standing I recoiled away from it.

I followed him to the door of my cell when suddenly he turned around. "First of all, I'm not going to hurt you so you can stop avoiding eye contact and, well, all kinds of contact. My eyes are red because I don't feed off of humans and I'm starving." My gaze traveled from his chest to his eyes. "Second of all, don't do anything stupid. You can feel safe when you're with me because I swear to fucking god I'm not going to hurt you, but I can't let you go anywhere or someone will hurt me. Okay?"

I nodded.

He opened the door and stepped into a hall. We passed 6 doors on both sides of the hallway before we went up the spiral staircase and then he took out a key and unlocked the door at the top of the steps. When he opened the door I was blinded by the brightest light I has ever seen. Oh my.. I think it's sunlight. There were windows everywhere along the crimson colored walls. The ceiling was high and a golden chandelier hung from the ceiling.

The vampire started walking again so I quickly followed, not wanting a different vampire to think I had escaped. He approached the stairs and took them quickly while it took a lot of energy to take the first five before I felt lightheaded. There were at least twenty more to go and I didn't think I could make it. When the vampire got to the top he looked down at me and frowned.

"Are you okay?"

I shook my head.

He started coming back down and grabbed my arm which I just pulled back. "Aria. Let me help you."

He put a cold arm around my waist and carried most of my weight up the stairs.

"So.. you don't drink human blood?" I asked with a weak voice.

He looked a little startled to hear me speak but then said, "No. Never have and never will."

"Is that why you have a soul? Or do you have a soul?" I studied him as we walked next to each other down a hall.

"I don't drink human blood because my soul never left. I don't know why, it's rare, but I still have feelings."

"Why do the vampires accept you? Don't they try to get you to drink human blood?"

He glanced behind us before he opened a door and stepped into a room, I followed and he shut the door. "The vampires don't know I have a soul. I act like one of them if they're around. Everyone eats at different times throughout the day, so they never notice."

"Yeah. I'm aware of the vampire eating schedule." I say a little irritated.

He turned on a light switch to light up a room with a checkered floor and a dark blue king sized bed. There was a dark night stand, a dresser, and a dark door on the right side of the room.