21] friends and beaches

Farris was getting on my last nerves. No, he'd already done that the three months I knew him. Now he was getting on nerves that I didn't even know I had.

He'd become like an unofficial third roommate.
I couldn't take a shit in my own house without him being all up in my business.
It was not like the guy was poor or homeless. His silver mercedes E-350 was parked sideways in our driveway. I'd been forced to squeeze my alfa Romeo next to it.

I was very excited to show it to Joel. We'd always talked about how convenient it would be if one of us had a car.

I rushed inside to get him,but my excitement died somewhere between finding them having sex in the living room and waiting for him to find his discarded clothes.

When he saw the car, he wasn't excited as I thought he'd be.

"Oh!Red? For such a small car,its kind of screamy. I like the seats." He said leaning against his boyfriends car.

"Bitch! That's the whole point of it being a two seater, it's supposed to be small." I spat at him.

"Lex, I didn't figure you as someone who likes small things. You look like big- strong-machine kind of girl." Farris batted in, with a stupid smirk on his face to show that he wasn't talking about the car.
My hand itched with the urge to slap the smirk off his face.
I just turned and went inside.

Joel found me in the kitchen, fixing a cup of coffee for myself.

"Why are you drinking coffee at noon? rough night?"

"You have no idea. Can we go to the beach?"

He looked at me closely. Starting with the baggy sweat pants, to the hoodie and the oversized shoes.
My hair was a nightmare.
He then looked at my face. It told him all he wanted to know.
I was dying to talk to someone.

"What's wrong? You never go to the beach unless you are upset."
He knew me. I loved the beach. Not so much the sand or swimming in the ocean. I loved sitting at a quiet place, looking at the water and listening to the waves. It was my comfort place.

"Alot of things have been happening. I need to think and just get away from it all for a minute."

He shot me a reassuring smile. "Ok, sure. At least now we have a car."

"Babe, you can't go to the beach today. I was just about to call Patina restaurant and book a reservation." Farris was leaning against the kitchen door. He was so nosy. Always watching and listening to everything Joel did. I knew the moment he spoke, I had lost Joel.

"Really? but you said the waiting list was like two pages long. Lex and I are going to the beach. You can come with and we could grab something to eat there."

I ground my teeth hard. Farris had also become like another set of body attached to Joel. They went everywhere together.
"Joel, I wanted to talk to you alone. Not you and him." I pointed to his boyfriend who was busy typing on his phone.

"Yes! I got the manager's number. I'm going to call him and I guarantee you he'll give us the best table. Get ready babe. We are going for dinner at my favourite restaurant." Farris placed a lingering kiss on Joel's lips then left.

Joel looked at me apologetically, "can we talk when I get back? Farris has been wanting to go there for like weeks."

I didn't even answer him. I slammed my mug on the kitchen counter and left for my room.
Joel followed me. At least he could still sense when I was mad at him.

"Lexxi, I'm sorry. If I wasn't going out with Farris, you know I'd go to the beach with you. We can even go tomorrow if you like."

"If I wanted to go tomorrow, I would have asked you tomorrow. You still wouldn't go because you can't take a sneeze without your boyfriend's approval."