1

Visual for the female Mer seen in this chapter, image is not mine! Just imagine this but with frilled ears and slitted pupils

Visual for the female Mer seen in this chapter, image is not mine! Just imagine this but with frilled ears and slitted pupils. Hope you guys enjoy this chapter, let me know what you think! Also some music above as well! Also I don't have a beta so let me know of any typos you may find please!
_____________________

Laurence bounced excitedly on his heels, chewing his bottom lip nervously as he knocked on the door of his family's home and waited for it to open. He had finally received his answer and now he had to break the news to his family.

The door slid open a crack, one of his little sister's head poking through briefly before pulling the door open the rest of the way and letting him in.

As soon as he stepped in he was tackled by two little balls of energy, also know as Maddie and Madsen, twins and the youngest of his siblings. 

He nearly fell backwards from the force of their excitement, a grunt of surprise leaving him. He pushed them away gently and his mother walked into the entryway and shooed them away while cleaning her hands off with a towel and giving him a hug of her own as she greeted him.

"Well, Laurence? Did you get an answer today?"

Laurence grinned, nearly jumping in his excitement.  Every day he went to check if they had decided and every day he got sent home without an answer.

"Yes! They said yes!"

Surprise covered his mother's face, along with a little sadness. He knew she had been hoping he would be turned down and stay home with them. However, he was nineteen now, he needed to get out and provide for himself.

He followed his mother back to the kitchen and dining area where his plate from dinner sat.  The heat of the nearby stove comforting even in the heat of the day.  He sat down and started to devour his meal, having been out and about in the heat causing him to have worked up an appetite.

He knew the question was coming before it left his mother's mouth.

"So when do they set sail? Next month?"

"Next week actually. He said the shipment needs to arrive earlier than originally planned. He said that's actually why he said yes.  Many men didn't want to go out on such a short notice!"

His mother smiled and ruffled his hair before grabbing a cup of water from a nearby shelf and putting it by his plate as he continued to eat.

"Of course they didn't.  And if you were any older you wouldn't either. A ship sailing on such a short notice doesn't give older men much time to prepare everything in their home for such a long leave. While I would rather have you stay I know you are determined. However, Laurence..."

She grabbed his chin before he could take another bite, turning his head so that he would meet her eyes.

"I know you like swimming, but the ocean is no place for that.  I have told you many times how dangerous the salt waters are, what lurks in their depths. Don't even consider going for a midnight swim like you always like to run away and do in the nearby lakes and ponds. Understand? I don't want my only son dying on his first job."