Chapter 6

Bridgette stood with Princess Helena and Arnold in the Royal Garden.

"Thank you for letting me stay," said Arnold. "I'm still not sure why you changed your mind."

"Because I don't think the Small Lady trusts what I say," explained Bridgette. "And frankly, I don't entirely trust her to be alone with the Princess. I need you to stay with Helena while I'm away."

"Where are you going?"

"I have to find this Dr. Heyerdahl. Gerald will be sure to keep an eye on you two."

Helena hugged Bridgette hugged tightly. "Be brave," she whispered. To Arnold, she said: "I'll be back shortly."

She exited the Royal Garden. Arnold looked at Princess Helena and smiled. "Guess it's just you and me now, huh?"

She blew a raspberry at him and gave Arnold the cold shoulder.

"What is your problem, anyway? Why do you have such a bad attitude? Sure, things didn't turn out for you the way you hoped, but that's no reason to close yourself off from life."

He outstretched his hand. "Come on. Just this once - let's work together."

Helena turned around. She sighed, but reluctantly took his hand and shook it.

"So it's true. The ruler of Laste Haste is just a child."

Small Lady entered the garden, her two cats straddling her; Arnold reflexively stood in front of Helena.

"I'm here to take Dr. Heyerdahl home. Is she here?"

No answer. Small Lady frowned.

"She can't talk," said Arnold.

"She can't, or she won't?"

"I think she can talk, but she chooses not to," said the grey kitten.

Arnold's eyes widened. "Did that cat just TALK?"

"Of course she can talk!" snapped Small Lady impatiently. "The question at hand is why SHE refuses to speak?"

"What does it matter to you? It's her decision if she chose to open up. But she has a right to not speak to you – nothing short of a miracle will get her to do otherwise!"

"A miracle, you say?" Small Lady grinned mischievously. "I think I could conjure something up...."

She dug in her hand in her pocket and pulled out a small silver key. She then held her other hand above her head while gripping the key. "As heir to the throne of Crystal Tokyo, I possess the Pink Moon Crystal. But over the years I've discovered a unique but effective trick when coupled with the Crystal Time Key..."

There was a blinding white light, causing Helena and Arnold to shield their eyes. When the light dissipated, they saw that Small Lady was holding a tiny white spherical gem. "Behold! The Legendary Silver Crystal!"

She pointed it at Helena, and its power caused a gravitational force that brought her to her knees.

"What are you doing?" asked the grey kitten.

"Relax, Diana," said Small Lady. "I just want to get her to talk."

Helena resisted the Crystal's power, but it was evident it was causing her considerable pain as tears streamed down her face.

"Stop it!" yelled Arnold. "You're hurting her!" He stood between her and Small Lady, alleviating the full effect of the Crystal on Helena. Eventually, he, too, succumbed to its power and collapsed to the ground.

"Speak!" commanded Small Lady. "I'll make it stop when you tell me what I want to know!"

"ALL RIGHT! ENOUGH!"

This time it was the black cat who spoke, and she sounded not at all pleased. Immediately, Small Lady stopped her assault on the two children and lowered her head.

"Chibi-Usa, I'm very disappointed in you! I have no idea how you were able to replicate the Silver Crystal, but I do know that your mother Neo-Queen Serenity would most certainly not permit it to be used in such a reckless, egregious way!"

"Sorry, Luna..." she said in a small voice.

As Luna continued to give Small Lady a dressing-down, both Arnold and Helena slowly struggled to get back on their feet. By the time they were standing again, Small Lady's face was so red with shame she looked like she had gotten a really bad sunburn.

"....You begged and pleaded to be taken seriously and allowed to conduct diplomatic missions, and the first opportunity you get you threaten the ruling class of a foreign nation with bodily harm for not speaking to you directly. If you think you that's the behaviour of a real lady, then you have another thing coming...!"

That did it. Small Lady exploded. "Oooooooooooooh-! Why do you have to be so mean to me, Luna?! I said I was sorry!" she ran out of the garden in tears.

"Small Lady, wait!" Both Luna and Diana chased after their pink-haired ward, leaving Arnold and Helena alone for the second time.

"Are you hurt?" Arnold asked. Helena shook her head. "She's got a lot to learn about being a ruler of a kingdom that's for sure..." She tugged on him in earnest. "Yes? What is it?"

"Th-th-th-th-"

"What?

"Th-th-th-thank y-you...." Her voice was hoarse, and came out in barely a whisper from lack of use, but it was unmistakable. For the first time in a long time, since the loss of her family, the Princess of Last Haste spoke, and she let Arnold be privy to this momumental event. She held on to him tightly; Arnold returned the embrace.

"You're welcome, Princess...it's the least I could do." She struggled to use her voice again. "What's that?"

"Your head....it looks like a football."

Mrs. Sawyer was watching her twin infants snooze in their crib, when suddenly she began to thrash and convulse violently. Mr. Sawyer ran into the nursery, startled, and tried to subdue his wife, but she used her preternatural strength to launch him into the wall.

Mr. Sawyer lay on the floor; he could hear his infant children crying as his wife left he nursery. He crawled over to the crib and climbed to his feet. "Honey, what's wrong? What is it?"

Mrs. Sawyer turned to look at her husband; her red hair stood on end, thrashing about like every strand was alive. Her eyes had become a pupil-less pitch black.

"Ginzuishou....!" She hissed, before jumping out the window and disappearing into the night.